Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been debating over this rifle for a few days, guyis super nice and says this was done by a bubba. My friend believe the bolt is the correct angle, and noticed the scope mount dots on the receiver. My friend thinks it’s a sniper, but what throws me off is the serial numbers on the bolt head which are just barely noticeable. Although some examples do seem to have this.

I’m turning to the collectors on this one, I don’t know if it’s authentic. I’m supposed to be getting this cheap and the guy is holding it specifically for me. What do you guys think?

these are the best pics I have, if you guys need to see something specific just let me know. Because I want to help you guys help me, and I wouldn’t mind knowing just in case I fall into a real one Some day.

·
Diamond Member
6,421 Posts
Cool looking rifle but the small qty of these were made with select VKT rifles and in a known S/N range. See post 7 on the link below..

M39-43!

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,207 Posts
I am the last guy in the world to pay any attention to but fooling with woodworking, the thing I notice is the scuff marks on the side of the stock where the drill bit nicked the wood. I don't think the Finns would have been that careless. I wish I were as good at joinery as the Finns were even 75 years ago. The scuff marks/abrasions look pretty new to me (fresh wood exposed). And the stuff filling the drill holes sure looks funky. Looks like JB weld filed down and sanded smooth to me. That is the unaltered color of it when it cures.

Reactions: Pukka Bundook

·
Copper Bullet member
1,892 Posts
Former Russian PEM receiver used to make a standard M39?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,797 Posts
I am the last guy in the world to pay any attention to but fooling with woodworking, the thing I notice is the scuff marks on the side of the stock where the drill bit nicked the wood. I don't think the Finns would have been that careless. I wish I were as good at joinery as the Finns were even 75 years ago. The scuff marks/abrasions look pretty new to me (fresh wood exposed). And the stuff filling the drill holes sure looks funky. Looks like JB weld filed down and sanded smooth to me. That is the unaltered color of it when it cures.
+1. The Finns would have worked on the barreled action out of the stock in order to jig it securely, as would any other competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As has been said, the only 39/43s were on VKT barrels. Case closed! Then the other details as mentioned above
Take a look at this topic post #13 and there open the PDF file. In the bottom of that file you can find serial numbers that are not VKT numbers,

Regards

Reactions: Berserk3r

·
Registered
773 Posts
As has been said, the only 39/43s were on VKT barrels. Case closed! Then the other details as mentioned above
This is clearly WRONG and there are 100% proofs for this. M/62 has posted the link to serial numbers of M39/43 sniper rifles sold off by the Finnish Army.

I however may point out that to my understanding these rifles are likely not WWII set up sniper rifles, but most likely set up by the Finnish Army based on damaged/shot out rifles that had the scopes and mounts removed and then remounted on another M39 rifle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I somehow missed that I have a Sako made M39/43 myself, so please find attached a picture of it.

Note the original base #350 is an earlier one where the pin has been weld repaired (typically damaged on nearly all rifles) which interestingly features the original scope serial on the left side, being #60250. And since some shared their rifles in here, attached also my grouping of Finnish sniper rifles - left five rifles are all M39/43, followed by the M39 PH (without scope), M39 SOV and M27/66. Minor detail, note one of the three Ajack does not have focal adjustment, on this one the SA stamp is also in a different location.

FinnishSnipers2.jpg FinnishSnipers.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
I somehow missed that I have a Sako made M39/43 myself, so please find attached a picture of it.

Note the original base #350 is an earlier one where the pin has been weld repaired (typically damaged on nearly all rifles) which interestingly features the original scope serial on the left side, being #60250. And since some shared their rifles in here, attached also my grouping of Finnish sniper rifles - left five rifles are all M39/43, followed by the M39 PH (without scope), M39 SOV and M27/66. Minor detail, note one of the three Ajack does not have focal adjustment, on this one the SA stamp is also in a different location.

View attachment 3789907 View attachment 3789908
Congrats on Your very comprehensive collection of Finnish sniper-rifles Dave! I am still a few rifles behind - and not catching You I’m afraid .

List of some m39 and m39/43’s sold by the army clearly shows, that to some extent, also other than VKT-rifles were marginally used. Some obviously taken into service after the war, because there are even some 3xx.xxx numbered late-date m39/43’s on the list.

Interestingly, there were only 98 m39/43’s on that list, so not all are listed here. If only Mangrove had time to dig some more documents...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts