Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What portion of M38s would you say have threaded barrels? If I am correct, they came from the factory without threads, but were later converted for the blank firing adapters, right? Would the threaded barrel turn you away from purchasing an M38? I don't really like the threaded barrels, but it might not turn me away if it were in good condition overall...

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,595 Posts
"B" barrels are on Swedish parts lists . "B" barrels were adopted in the '50's , so not original on any Swedish Mauser . There is no record of the number of "B" barrels on Swedish Mausers . "B" barrels are a legit variation of the Swedish Mausers . I have four m/38's , one of each year of production , 1941/1944 . Two are threaded . I would advise buying the best condition available regardless of a "B" barrel or not .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That answers my question. I had never heard of the "B" barrel before...it sounds like it is a whole new barrel put on in the 1950s or later. I always thought the arsenals might have threaded the existing barrels already on the rifles but that was all speculation on my part. Thanks for the replies!

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,176 Posts
That answers my question. I had never heard of the "B" barrel before...it sounds like it is a whole new barrel put on in the 1950s or later. I always thought the arsenals might have threaded the existing barrels already on the rifles but that was all speculation on my part. Thanks for the replies!
A lot of existing barrels were threaded. I have an m/96B with it's original barrel threaded. I know it's original because the serial number stamped on it is exactly identical to the serial number stamped on the receiver. After 50 years it would be impossible to match the font and depth of certain numbers.

Remember the Swedes are a thrifty bunch, why throw away a perfectly good barrel?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,595 Posts
I don't believe I have ever seen a blued muzzle thread . All were white metal . Of course , I have not seen them all !!!!! I can see CG pulling new blued barrels out of stock to thread them & not rebluing the thread . HVA probably did the same , more than 10 years later when the BFD was adopted . Whether existing barrels were pulled off rifles to thread the muzzle or threaded without removing the barrels is unknown at this time ????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts