Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would be the price range for one of these ? On Ted's site they rate a 9 on the rarity scale. What about if the carbine had sling hanging wires through the slots ? I'm asking because for the last two years I've been seeing a similar rifle on the gunshow circuits in MA and NH. Solid wood correct M38 stock and totally non-matching. Not SA marked.
It's a 1942 Izhevsk.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
What would be the price range for one of these ? On Ted's site they rate a 9 on the rarity scale. What about if the carbine had sling hanging wires through the slots ? I'm asking because for the last two years I've been seeing a similar rifle on the gunshow circuits in MA and NH. Solid wood correct M38 stock and totally non-matching. Not SA marked.
It's a 1942 Izhevsk.
Hmmm, sounds a little weird with sling hangars and all, but I would agree with DDR on price range.

I paid $90 for mine at Dunhams, but would not sell for less than $200.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,190 Posts
To give you an idea, I tried to sell a "triangle 1" M44 that was matching on the trader for $150 and no one had any interest.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Sounds like a very fair price. I can't 'splain it other than to say that the trader is sometimes as much of an anomaly as some auctions. It is a "tough crowd" of bargain hunters and seems to counterbalance crazy, outrageous auction prices. Then factor in want and "need", timing, young guys with disposable incomes that old skinflints can only dream about - and those old skinflints like me. DDR

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
DDR marked M44s are much more common than DDR marked M38s. Some of each have been showing up in the recent imports, but the number of M44s is surprising. I've seen as many as 2 out of a dozen at one dealer and don't even get excited about them any more. While I have 2 or 3 of the DDR M38s already, I would still pick them up if I had the opportunity at a good price. I certainly wouldn't sell for less than $200 and right now not at all.

Two of mine have a very dark shellac finish and one has odd screwed sling escutcheons. Based on some information at Mosin Nagant dot Net I'm convinced these are East German refinished stocks. One of these days I'm going to do a page on them for the site. I'm mentioning it because it's something I'd look for and would influence my decision to purchase and the price I'd pay.

As for the wire hangers, who knows? It could have been done here. If I owned a Mosin and didn't have a clue about them but wanted to put a sling on it I would probably find some stiff wire and create sling hangers myself. It was done in countries around the world as an expediency and I'm sure it's been done by "Bubba" in the US also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts