Gunboards Forums banner

M38 in competition?

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  swede 
#1 ·
Were the M38s used in Swedish FSR competition like the M96s were? I have never seen a M38 with diopter sights like some long rifles have.

#2 ·
I believe 700 or so 1944 m/38s were made for use by the FSR, but didn't go over very well and were eventually used by the military. Why would a civilian FSR shooter put himself at a disadvantage by fielding an m/38 over an m/96?

#3 ·
Out of the initially 20000 Husqvarna m/96 planned for FSR in early 1940s 3000 were withdrawn to be used for m/38. So only 17000 m/96 produced. It was a demand for m/38 among FSR members but in the end only 700 m/38 ordered by FSR members. So "production line" for 2300 rifles were given back to the Army. We dont know if taken in use or if so for m/96 or m/38 rifles.
M/38 were believed equal to m/96 and were planned to be used in first case for field shooting competitions.
I have owned a special m/38 with known Swedish highgrade FSR owners before sold at auction and now in collection by a US member here. This m/38 got a Söderin diopter at the time in use in Sweden before m/38 were withdrawn for use by FSR. Unusual but exist.

#6 ·
All the winners in CMP style shooting here use the M96......one or two M38s,who seem to be about equal to the SMLEs.....consequently NOS 30" barrels go for around $500-$600,the 23 1/2 barrels NOS seem to fetch around $50......... some participants use single shots,a decided disadvantage in rapid fire......max range is 300m ,and the biggest factors are long sight radius,and low recoil.

#7 ·
A local garand club about an hour away has monthly matches. I’ve shot my garand there once but have wanted to try one of my boltguns, either a Springfield or a Krag. A couple months ago on my birthday I found a nice 1903 M96 that would be even better. They use a reduced target as they only have a 100 yd range. My M96 is at a smiths getting an unissued bolt fit and the handle turned down. Might give it a try there before the years out.
Musical instrument Wood Air gun Shotgun Line

#10 ·
In military rifle competition here,the gun must comply to type.....and IMHO this is where the M38 suffers...the sights seem to be a half baked combination ...narrow the frontsight ,alter the rear U or is it a square?...and you are disqualified........combine that with the shorter sight radius ,and you are at a big disadvantage with a M38...then there is light recoil ,as ammo must be equal energy /recoil to a service round......for instance ,some have tried the 8mm Mausers....punishing recoil,same with a Finn Mosin,or an 03A3 ...accurate guns for sure ,but 50 rounds including 20 rapid,and its really hurting......only military style clothing,no padded jackets....the 6.5 Mannlichers would be OK for recoil,and quick reload for rapid,but all the military 6.5s have poor sights.

#11 ·
Not wanting to stray off topic, but we including my daughter all shoot Finn Mosin Nagants and dont notice recoil really John. Mind, we use mainly the M 91 or M 9124 so it's long and pretty heavy.
The M 96 Swedish is a topper of a rifle though and a great favourite here! We shoot these as well! Rolls Royce compared to most!

#14 ·
Check this post for the measurements:

#15 ·
There are 5 diopters with the staggered hole pattern . The chart below will give you an approximate choice of diopters . There is not much difference in them . Some may fit , but be cocked left or right . Careful measurements are needed . The "GF" has a milled cut across the receiver between the two holes , so that lets the GF off your list of possible diopters .

White Line Font Parallel Drawing
Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Slope

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.