Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I own a M91/30 and am looking into buying an M38 that I could possibly convert into a scout. The thing is, I hear most M38s are counterbored and the few I am looking at are. I was wondering if putting a muzzle brake on one of these counterbored rifles would have any ill-effects. I was reading a few reviews about the brake and stumbled upon one who said his exploded after a few shots. Figured either he installed it wrong or counterboring had something to do with it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
You would be better off buying a slip on recoil pad at Walmart for less than $20. Muzzle brakes and Mosins have so far not been a good combination. Counterbore doesn't even enter in to it. There have been numerous postings here about muzzlebrakes ending up down range in short order, if not on the first shot. Shermysan

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A counterbore was done to remedy a flaw and improve accuracy. It is not a bad thing. If you can't live with the idea or looks of it, get a M91/59. :) As to muzzle brakes on Mosin carbines, save your time, effort, money, and possibly a call to 911. They can come apart and go downrange or sideways. You shouldn't need one and they look goofy. Anyone at a range who sees a dude with one on his carbine approaching the line should scatter. They represent "an accident going somewhere to happen". Except it is not such an accident if intelligence can prevent it. DDR

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
I'm waitng for some enterprising machinist to figure out a way to thread that counter-bored section and produce a muzzle-brake that will just screw in. I'm no expert in this area but it seesm to me something like that wouldn't be too difficult...at least conceptually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks for the input. I know counterboring isn't a bad thing, just thought that somehow the recess would cause some sort of unwanted pressure, blowing the brake off. Other than that I was just getting one for aesthetic reasons really. Also, sorry for any sort of pain I may have caused you monkey.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
surely you guys are not talking about a threaded muzzle break? why would that fly of downrange?
No I think they're talking about those cheap ones advertised all over the place that have a set screw or something. Not many here would advocate threading a barrel to accept a Muzzlebrake. :)

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,532 Posts
I know counterboring isn't a bad thing, just thought that somehow the recess would cause some sort of unwanted pressure, blowing the brake off.
I bought a T-53 with one on it. Took it off after putting about 20 rounds thought the rifle. The rounds were hitting everywhere. There was no counter bore on this rifle.

Close inspection of the break showed the round was hitting the edge of the break as it exited. The metal that wrapped around the front site to hold it on was bent as well. Break would have ended up down range soon. As it was, that is where I threw that break, down range.

I think a properly designed and installed break for the cartridge/rifle combination would work just fine. But, no one has seen a need to design one. The Russians didn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.