Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! I posted this rifle I picked up a few months back but I was wondering if anyone could help me on it.

I was recently told by a friend that this rifle was not originally a Ski Trooper M28 since it's not in the 6000 serial number range, but what I find odd is that the ski trooper stock is serialized to the rifle. It's a very unusual rifle to say the least and she's a dang good shooter too. (Even though I don't shoot her frequently.)

From my earlier post about this rifle, the last owner did tell me, this rifle was used in the Raasepori district and he told me the number "25" stamped on the buttplate was its rack number which possibly shows that this rifle and stock are original to each other.

Pictures of the rifle will be in the second post! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
This is my .02

The 25 was the original rifle's rack number but it was also the original rifle's last 2 digits of the serial number. I find the number stamped in the stock to be interesting and it had me stumped for a bit. However I think I could have figured it out. I believe it was stamped after the rifle was refurbished by the Finns. Reason I say this is because I've seen civil guard serial numbers stamped on the ball of the bolt. Most of the time it is the serial number and I think sometimes Finnish personal that were refurbishing these rifles sometimes made mistakes. (example would be mistaking a CG number for a serial number) I believe this too, the stamping of the stock to be done during refurbishment. To me the rifle looks to have been reblued and I believe at this point it could have lost it's original stock and this new one was stamped and put on.

Would love to hear a Ryan E, Sparky, CH, Flyin Bryin, etc opinions on what I think.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting! Thank you for that! It's a mystery rifle to say the least but I love it! Do you happen to know the magazine markings?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance this rifle was at least once capture by the Russians? The serial number marking on the butt of the stock reminds me of the numbers the Russians did when they captured K98's.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,762 Posts
This is my .02

The 25 was the original rifle's rack number but it was also the original rifle's last 2 digits of the serial number. I find the number stamped in the stock to be interesting and it had me stumped for a bit. However I think I could have figured it out. I believe it was stamped after the rifle was refurbished by the Finns. Reason I say this is because I've seen civil guard serial numbers stamped on the ball of the bolt. Most of the time it is the serial number and I think sometimes Finnish personal that were refurbishing these rifles sometimes made mistakes. (example would be mistaking a CG number for a serial number) I believe this too, the stamping of the stock to be done during refurbishment. To me the rifle looks to have been reblued and I believe at this point it could have lost it's original stock and this new one was stamped and put on.

Would love to hear a Ryan E, Sparky, CH, Flyin Bryin, etc opinions on what I think.
+1 The rifle shows signs of having been refurbished. I also think it's likely that the CG district number was mistaken as the serial number, and retained, hence the CG number used as a serial number under the butt plate

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,676 Posts
After I received my M28 a few months back I was digging around and found this relating to "S" serial numbers on SIG barrels. "The second variation SIG marking is the most common found on the m/28 series rifles. These markings include the Civil Guard designation of SY and the ammunition type/chamber diameter marking of “D” on the top center of the barrel which was added later by the army. The contract stipulated that the barrel serial number would be located just above the wood line and visible on the barrels left side when the rifle was pointed down range. The serial number on these SIG barrels is preceded with a small “o” as discussed above. The right side of the barrel is to be marked with the district identification number of the Civil Guard district it was issued to."

Mine is in the 4000 range but I was still trying to figure them out. The serial number on the side of the barrel that was struck over looks to be 9625 which would tie in with Jepari's information about the 25 being the last two digits of the original serial number. Another one of those interesting mysteries. I kind of believe that Stalin's Ghost is on to what probably happened.

At first glance I wondered whether or not that had the sliding windage adjustable rear sight but it does not appear to have the plate in the notch that would move.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My serial on my less than 6000 sn was crossed out too. My CG unit still stands and the bolt and stock are serialed to the crossed out serial. This leads me to believe that whoever refurbed your rifle restamped it based on CG # like you surmised. I have not pulled my butt plate off but when I get home next week I will.

Hopefully this helps/adds to the conversation.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for this added information. It is very interesting to see what the Finnish have or possibly did do during this time. Would I even be able to consider this an M28 Ski Trooper rifle then?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Would I even be able to consider this an M28 Ski Trooper rifle then?
Absolutely

The only thing it isn't, is an original M28 ski trooper. And really you can't even be 100% sure by saying that.

Has anyone shown proof of ~6,000 only being original ski troopers?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,676 Posts
Excellent question. Being a novice I just went by the information indicating that the "first 6000" were fitted in those stocks. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable will chime in.

Absolutely

The only thing it isn't, is an original M28 ski trooper. And really you can't even be 100% sure by saying that.

Has anyone shown proof of ~6,000 only being original ski troopers?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I would like to say I feel I could be wrong about one thing and I would like help on the answer by the Finnish vets.

I know the numbers on the ball are not original. However I have come across a M28 that has the CG number on the bolt but it does not appear to be a refurb to me. So my question is originally and not refurbished...what number did the Finnish put on the bolt and where? One thing is for sure the bolt fonts do not match the barrel shank CG numbers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My M28 Ski had an 8000 SN. What I would imagine is that this is because the Finns needed to replace combat losses and short falls, which is common to any Army in war. I would speculate that the replacements rifles used were closest to the first 6000 s/n's, that is a guess though, but to me it makes valid sense to replace your losses with a production line closest to the first ones run, especially with rifles with a specific purpose, such as ski/bike troops.

Edit:

These does seem plausible since the first 6000 were Ski-Troopers....also the first 10.000 barrels were from SIG, so if my theory is right, that would mean potential SNs could go to 10k for Ski 28s. I would also think that if one found a ski with a 28 or 29 stamp, then it may be a bubba ski, but if its a 27, I would still think it as a replacement, as long as its a SiG barrel.....again...I could be way off....

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
My M28 Ski had an 8000 SN. What I would imagine is that this is because the Finns needed to replace combat losses and short falls, which is common to any Army in war. I would speculate that the replacements rifles used were closest to the first 6000 s/n's, that is a guess though, but to me it makes valid sense to replace your losses with a production line closest to the first ones run, especially with rifles with a specific purpose, such as ski/bike troops.
Why would they care about that? In reality serial number 6,001 is no different than serial number 9,249. I think when they needed to replace a stock or a need for a ski/bike rifle they grabbed a stock and put it on. I don't think they cared to get it close to 6,000 or less. I would like to know the story behind the "Only the first 6,000 were ski troopers". I have a serial number 272 that is in a regular stock (not saying that's the original stock though..)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I edited my post with a reason why I think they had kept to the 6000 number.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.