Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the pics of the SA marked M28 that arrived with the damaged NEW yesterday. This has a barrel date of 28 on a Remington receiver, matching bolt and an SA marked leather sling. Since this is my first M28, I have a question. It has 2 numbers on the barrel. Am I correct in assuming that one is the production #15365 (2nd series) and the other matches the bolt # so I guess that is the serial #? Also, there is a <-R-> on the barrel, I haven't had a chance to research it, but if anyone knows it's meaning?? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
One is the rifle serial number and the other is the SN at the CG district it was assigned to.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
Being the the M28 was orginally a Civil Guard rifle many had the CG# stamped on the right side of the chamber just in front of the receiver and above the wood line. Often that became the SN# and the original Sn# on the left side was lined out. Doesn't seem to be ryme or reason, not all and I would say most kept the original Sn#, at least on my collection of M28s. Subject to correction as far as "most were or were not". Just my observation on my rifles. Congrats on your M28, very interesting series like the M27s. John.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Being the the M28 was orginally a Civil Guard rifle many had the CG# stamped on the right side of the chamber just in front of the receiver and above the wood line. Often that became the SN# and the original Sn# on the left side was lined out. Doesn't seem to be ryme or reason, not all and I would say most kept the original Sn#, at least on my collection of M28s. Subject to correction as far as "most were or were not". Just my observation on my rifles. Congrats on your M28, very interesting series like the M27s. John.
HD,

Original serial and original CG number lined out on mine. Second district number stamped above the first, the second number is on the bolt. Bolt has another lined out district number which does not match anything. Currazy, but think it's cool.

Lancebear

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
check out the m/28 section at the parent site www.mosinnagant.net for all the info you need including the inspectors marks. The 15,000 number is the barrel serial number from SIG, the other is the CG district number the gun was assigned to after it was assembled. It looks like a very nice gun.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Here are the pics of the SA marked M28 that arrived with the damaged NEW yesterday. This has a barrel date of 28 on a Remington receiver, matching bolt and an SA marked leather sling. Since this is my first M28, I have a question. It has 2 numbers on the barrel. Am I correct in assuming that one is the production #15365 (2nd series) and the other matches the bolt # so I guess that is the serial #? Also, there is a <-R-> on the barrel, I haven't had a chance to research it, but if anyone knows it's meaning?? Thanks
Hey ded123,

Seems like M28's have a lot of interesting markings. Does your butt plate have any that look like Roman numeral two's with dashes on each side? Anything on the top of the tang?

Lancebear

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
ded123,

Think the "R" marking is a proofing mark? I believe you also have a "SIG" manufactured barrel. The markings are on the right side under the wood. If you have a two piece nose cap, make sure you take out the two tiny screws first if you disassemble the rifle. Don't ask how I know about that:).

LB

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
That's a very nice M/28, i really like the sling too. The "R" is an inspectors mark.
usrifle

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ded123,

Think the "R" marking is a proofing mark? I believe you also have a "SIG" manufactured barrel. The markings are on the right side under the wood. If you have a two piece nose cap, make sure you take out the two tiny screws first if you disassemble the rifle. Don't ask how I know about that:).

LB
Yes, I do have the SIG barrel......Schweiz Industrie Gasellscha Neuhausen

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey ded123,

Seems like M28's have a lot of interesting markings. Does your butt plate have any that look like Roman numeral two's with dashes on each side? Anything on the top of the tang?

Lancebear
Here are some additional pics of markings...nothing on the butt plate

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.