Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed the stock from my M28/76 to do a good cleaning and a coat of BLO and when I turned the stock upside down to remove the mag 4 shims fell out. Of course I didn't see where they came from.

They are all square. Two have holes and 2 don't. I know where they two with holes belong but the ones without have me puzzled.

Can someone tell me where the other two shims belong? :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the M39 stocks, I've found shims in the bottom of the receiver lug hole, tombstone shaped shims with a bolthole in them at the receiver tang, AND smaller square shims WITHOUT bolt holes in them placed at the backside of the cutout where the receiver lug rests. The shims that go in the bottom of the lug hole give the barrel it's float and work together with the shims on the receiver tang cutout to keep the barreled action from rocking in the stock and to allow it to fit evenly all the way from the lug to the tang.
The shims without the bolt holes in them are placed in the lug hole,standing up usually at the rear to keep the receiver from moving back and forth due to loose fit of the wood. When the receiver has excess movement back and forth under recoil it slams into the rear of the stock cutout and can cause the splits in the wood just behind the receiver tang you see on a lot of M39 stocks. You basically have 3 different adjustments going on with the use of shims. Barrel float,elimination of the rocking motion, and back and forth movement.If you sit your stock in a clamp type rest and place the receiver in it without the two bolts, you can tell if it fits flush all the way thru or has a rocking movement.Since barrel float is acheived with the front bottom shim in the lug cutout, you'll have to adjust that into the
rocking movement emlination at the sametime. The shimming to eliminate back and forth movement is a separete adjustment and shouldn't be effected by the other adjustments.
Your target rifle stock still has the same receiver placed in it and the same cutouts in the wood, so I would think the same would apply there, although I havn't seen one yet.I would think that if you made sure the lug was back against the back of the lug cutout hole in the stock and the two mount bolts were tight that you wouldn't get any recoil damage but the Finns placed them there in a lot of stocks and I have seen several stocks with splits just behind the tang.You could bed the action into the stock channel and probably eliminate all of the shims except for the shims in the bottom of the lug cutout but that's a different topic and I prefer the shims myself. I hope that helped and if someone else has a better explanation, please feel free to chime in. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on this topic, it's just my expereince on the 13 M39 rifles I've owned. Also, when you have your barreled action laying loosely in the stock, back and forth movement is easy to detect then.

·
Silver Bullet member
181 Posts
I have a Finn "capture" 91/30 in a potbelly stock that has three loose square shims placed on the left side of the recoil lug. Done to "center" the barrel in the channel?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the lug hole was larger than the receiver lug or had play on the sides,then that would be a good bet. The receiver and the wood aren't built to exact tolerances and the wood would wear/shrink with time and usage.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mine had shims under the recoil lug and behind it on the receiver flat and a thin one under the tang. This stock should free float the barrel even with no shims so receiver trueness should be your goal in shiming. Try various configurations of the shims so that the receiver sits true and flat with no rocking in the stock without the screws being tight. You can gauge this by holding the receiver in the stock with one hand around the stock and receiver front and back and checking for "rocking". You can always bed the action, I will likely bed mine, many were bedded in Finland by the FDF with a Devcon like product, mine was not. I do not believe bedding will harm any collector value in a M28/76, collector value is not why I bought mine anyway. This aint no Finnish Calvary carbine .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after much trial and error I have it back together. There are a total of 6 shims in this gun not including the thin plate attached to the rear of the recoil lug hole.

Four go on the bottom and one on each side to free float the barrel. I thought maybe two went on the left side because a bit of finish was rubbed off the recoil lug on that side but it pushed everything to the right leaving a gap on the left side.

Singleshot, Mine rocks a bit in the stock with shims or without which I thought was odd.

I don't know if it's back together correctly or not but it seems right. A trip to the range will tell me but with the crappy weather here it may be a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts