Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have an M24/47 import marked by Samco that is wearing an M48 stock. Does the stock affect the value, and who installed the stock? Samco or the factory where the refurb took place?

I don't have any huge issues with the stock as it is. It looks brand new, but the barrel band is for an M24/47 so the sling I bought (K98 sling) fits weird since it has to 'twist' as it goes up to the front of the rifle. I wonder if there is any place to track down an original M24/47 stock that I could buy, or possibly trade the stock that I have.

Funk

·
Silver Bullet member
7,798 Posts
Hey Funk..You "may" have a more interesting rifle than you think..Before you swap things around I'll say that there are some strange M24/47 rifles out there the 5 and 6 digit as well as the "W" prefix rifles come with M48 features(M48B as well) and the W prefix especially are cool as K98k, etc. recievers have been found

Yours just might be more interesting than you think..Can you post some pics of the left side of reciever ?

Is it a "W" prefix serial?..And if the stock number matches the Serial on receiver it was done by the Yugoslavs, so does it match?

M24/47 rifles did go through and get parts replaced before being put into storage after being withdrawn so quite possible yours had a cracked stock and the Yugoslavs replaced it..they would have numbered it to match at that time

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics of the bolt, serial number, and left side of the receiver. Hopefully it helps me get to the bottom of this mystery. One other thing, the stock is not numbered at all, not even an overstrike, but does have some light inspection cartouches on the heel and bottom side of the butt.

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac310/oammusic3/Yugo Mauser/2012-04-25094515.jpg
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac310/oammusic3/Yugo Mauser/2012-04-25094456.jpg
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac310/oammusic3/Yugo Mauser/IMAG0658.jpg

Funk

·
Silver Bullet member
7,798 Posts
Looks like a keeper to me!..No serial on the stock is verry odd, I think still tho it leans toward Yugoslav installed as the importer could/would have thrown an odd stock on a barreled action but what he would have would have been already numbered.

I have never heard that virgin stocks were exported ...have heard that rifles were sold sans stocks and receiving countries stocked their own..even Branko Bogdanovic has alluded to that in the past..but no virgin stocks

Your stock is deff a Yugoslav Elm stock (and a darn pretty one at that)..I'll also add that the ghost markings on the left siderail indicate Yugoslav rather than Belgian manufacture and the ZAVOD 44 is the early marking for the facility at Kragujevac (first of 3)

I think you have a great M24/47 that received a new stock before being put up..I would keep it original just the way it is..if the sling is really bothering you perhaps you could just switch the rear band to an M48 type with bracket on the left side..it may be a drop in fit or you might have to file a small notch on the right side to acomodate the band retainer spring..I know it would be much easier to file the spring down but as a die hard Yugo collector I just dont like to mess with anything so that you cant put it back to original for the next guy

I would keep as is . I think its a great looking rifle and may well be a very nicely bedded shooter..The Yugoslavs did some very nice work towards the end when the workforce was experienced.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Nice looking stock at that and there's nothing wrong with keeping it that way. But, speaking for myself, I would be inclined to put it in a 24/47 stock and have it like it should be. My guess is that the exporter had some unfinished or unassigned M48 stocks left over arguable, well,... in stock and slapped it on there.

You can find the M48 barrel band at Numrich http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4213 for $6.55 plus shipping. If you want to put it into a 24/47 stock I'd suggest auction sites, Gunbroker, eBay and the like. Cost may be around $40something give or take a bit. The M48 stock would probably pay even/steven as the olde saying goes...

·
Silver Bullet member
7,798 Posts
I agree with 'Nug, if by exporter he means Serbia, Croatia Etc Etc... the "New" countries formed after the breakup of Yugoslavia would have the spare parts and stocks and would certainly have made another complete rifle for sale..the absence of a serial would make perfect sense then..the fact that both furniture and metal are in EXL. condition may be a happy coincidence in that case

I would love an unmarked M48 stock and one with figure like that would bring a pretty penny on epay you can be sure..I would shoot it first and see tho as an M24/47 stock to equal it would be costly as well and maybe just maybe that stock was fitted by an armorer and its a tack driver

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
"...if by exporter he means Serbia, Croatia Etc Etc... the "New" countries formed after the breakup of Yugoslavia..."
Yep! That's what I meant. There were also complete metal sets for rifles that only lacked stocks. Some were imported into the country to be stocked by the importer (got that from Branko), I am assuming there were some stocks of, well, stocks available to match with the parts kits. I would also imagine such supplies were assembled in the those countries to realize a great price for a complete gun. Either could account for the unnumbered stock.

Another thing in considering the shooting aspects of the M48 vs 24/47 stocks. The M48 is robust, solid and a little heavier. The 24/47 stocks were run over a belt sander and in my experience tend to be slimmer and lighter and have different handling characteristics. Again, the choice is the owners and no foul either way. It certainly isn't the only 24/47 in an M48 stock and won't be the last.

Finding a "pretty" 24/47 stock is a long shot and roll of the die.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said before, I'm really fond of the M48 stock that it has. It looks and feels nice. Lock up on everything is perfect. The rifle is very accurate and liked to group to the right of the bull. My thinking was that when the refurb occurred, that it was placed in that stock at that time. Since there are no serial numbers located on the stock, that seems to make the most sense.

I may look around for an M24/47 stock later down the road. I like the stock as it is but wouldn't mind having what would be considered "original" equipment.

I knew you guys would have some good answers! Thanks for your time guys!

Funk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.