Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last month I purchased three interesting Mausers from a dealer I found on Gunboards. I could ask endless questions about the svwMB k98 (nicknamed "Enigma"), but this time I'll concentrate on the nice M24/47, my first Yugo rifle.

Thanks to the forums, I've learned that this particular stamped code for the refurbishing facility was used no later than September 1947. The old serial number on the stock has a single scratch mark through it, a superseding three-digit number is stamped just below it. The matching number 323 is stamped on the receiver in the usual place, with the prefix B. The same three digits are stamped on the floor plate, rather casually spaced numerals. There the second digit "2" has been over-stamped, looks like comrade worker originally hit it with "3" before realizing his error. The bolt has a non-matching four digit number in neat, deeply stamped numbers on the upper surface of the neck of the handle, font quite unlike the other "matching" numbers. I can't find any second number on the bolt. On the stock just above the original serial number is (I suspect) the original stock acceptance mark, Cyrillic letters цд in a circle. The Cyrillic letter к is on the rear of the safety. Letters в and (I think) д are found on the base of the rear sight. On really close inspection, there are almost totally obliterated numbers (five or six) on the right side of the stock, near the recoil lug. They were raised, not stamped, as hard to see in person as the photo.

Just noticed I need a photo of the double-struck number on the floor plate, will hopefully add tomorrow. (Just added… sorry, it's badly blurred. But you can see the altered second digit. Floor plate also has mark "M"; there is a tiny triangle stamped in the stock just behind the trigger guard… 5/18 at 8 AM).

My first question is in regard to the serial number. Are the three digits indicative of a fairly early refurbish job (at least at that facility)? How about the prefix B? (For what it's worth it's the third letter in the Cyrillic alphabet.) And those nearly obliterated numbers on the right side of the stock? Hard to imagine how they were even created.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Those numbers were not 'created'. They were originally stamped, as is normal. When a stock is sanded and numbers are nearly gone a very slight number remains, "pressed" into the wood by the stamping, but fibers are not cut or cut very little. So stock is then washed or wet to raise whiskers those slight number depressions will raise and be very slightly above wood surface.
The location of those numbers on your stock are where the serial was originally put by FN.
Can't answer other questions as I do not collect refurb'ed Mausers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. I've never owned or even met a FN Mauser from that era. Stock of my original, unmolested late-production FN49 semi auto 7.92 mm has a serial number similarly stamped on the right side near the receiver; it's in Arabic numerals for the Egyptian client.

Received my copy of the Bogdanovic book yesterday (Sunday USPS free delivery from Amazon!). Lots of good information but only partial explanations. He states that the letter prefix indicates whether the M24/47 was destined for domestic military units (Cyrillic) or export (Latin). If mine was made for a small run of export guns, it might help explain the low serial number. But many of the Cyrillic characters look just like Latin letters (at least to me). I have no idea if my prefix is а Cyrillic В or a Latin B. And he doesn't specify where the export guns might have been sent. Mine has no import marks. The front sight is a k98-type with grooves for a hood (installed). Doubtless the Red Flag Enterprise had plenty of Serbian, Belgian, Czech and German pieces to pick from. And the pretty walnut stock? What I can make of of the last two of those apparently FN stamped numbers doesn't coincide with the "old" crossed out four digit number at the butt end. Stock was apparently recycled (or at least renumbered) more than once.

Could go on regarding the oddities of my svwMB Oberndorf rifle, but enough for now. Both look good and function well. Collecting refurbished or otherwise somewhat improvised rifles requires an open mind and a sense of humor.

·
Silver Bullet member
7,798 Posts
The struck stock numbers are Yugoslavian..the stock on your rifle went through a second refurb and the 2nd set of numbers were stamped below the first

4 digit is the most common found on the M24/47 rifles..yes 3 digit is less 2 digit pretty hard to find 1 digit I've only seen one

There are 5 and 6 digit serialed rifles but they are uncommon and were part of a complete rebuild of M24/47 rifles..they can have any type of crest as they came from all times and facilities..The original left siderail markings were removed and the rail left blank so we do not know where this last refurbishment was done. I have a 6 digit with an M48A barrel on it and a stamped floorplate

Here is my 2 digit..it has way more serializing on it than the standard 4 places most often found on the M24/47

A six digit with blank side rail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.