Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what the going price is for real M1D's but note that the CMP is selling some in the $1500-1900US range without scope or "accessories". Is it difficult to obtain the mounting parts? I have seen photos of M1D's in the field without the flash hider or the cheek pad so it seems the scope and mount are the only required parts to complete an M1D. Does the CMP price seem reasonable given the need for replacement parts? Any opinion, anyone?

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
An average complete docuemented M1D goes for about $3500 - with special ones going for as much as $5000. I believe the CMP is selling just Rack and Field grades now (except on auction). I could probably find one I would like if I could sort through them at a store. I sorted most of the Greek M1Ds as a volunteer when they came back - some ruff ones in the mix. Some were refinished by the Greeks, and had replacement Greek made stocks, However, some rifles are placed as Field and Rack grades for only very minor barrel problems though. Hand pick will always get you something better - unless you are real lucky!
My docuemented M1D that I would call real special!!! The CMP paperwork is very important when it comes to value. Rifles made from receivers other than SA go for a premium - mine is a Winchester,
With all the rifles being sold without mounts or scopes expect the prices on them to go through the roof.

·
Registered
540 Posts
M1D's- some thoughts

Good Day,
I've been collecting Garands for many years and have come across a number of good pieces. Each rifle needs to be looked at individually. If there is paperwork- so much the better. However I've seen people walk away from some great rifles because there wasn't a DCM, title 10 or CMP tag on it. Remember, as long as the parts are USGI- it was made by Americans at a time when there was pride in working metal and wood. Some rifles made it into the DCM/CMP system, others didn't and made it out in other ways. Still others out there did come through the system but the paperwork" has been lost over the years. Even if you send in the serial number to CMP, I think Orest Michaels said they are finding only around 10% of the numbers submitted. Records are fuzzy the older you look back.

The current crop of CMP rifles have a facinating history. Yes, the rifles aren't cheap but don't think about what they "used" to go for. The reality is that prices may fluctuate somewhat but the are not likely to go down. I don't know who said it but "you can never pay too much, just too early". If you want an M1D and can't look around at the shows or surf the net (and ask questions) then the CMP rifles are the best deal going.

If you are looking to buy one for pure resell, then look ONLY for DCM/CMP stuff. There are individuals that will only believe a rifle with such paperwork. If you want to be a shooter or collector then buy books, ask questions and educate yourself on the wonderful and still somewhat unknown facet (snipers) of the Garand history.

Best of luck,
Michael

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tom-M,
Is that a 1" Weaver K4? If so, then nice to have a 1" mount. I let the 1" Israeli mounts slip through my fingers.

FlightRN,
NICE collection.

Regards,
Meinander

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Yes - it's a 1" Weaver scope set up. Looks like Michael has one too with the gray plastic lens covers. Actually got mine seperately from rifle - as rifle came with M84 setup. Now rifle has both.

Had'nt heard about an Israeli 1" setup. Can you enlighten me? I collect Israeli sniper equipment, and have been suprised at the lack of info on it.

Tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sarco had the mounts several years ago. They were supposedly Israeli made. These are separate from the Israeli M1Ds that came with the 1" mounts. I suspect they were spare parts though they may have been made for commercial sale.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I don't remember the 1 " mounts, but I remember the M1D rifles, 7/8" mounts, and parts kits that came in from Israel. I have a boxed mount from Israel that was designed to mount a M84 scope on an M16 from about that time too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,
Have any of you ever seen or heard of an M1D whose metal is black, instead of the greenish parkerized?
Ken

·
Registered
159 Posts
Check these guys out i am probly going to place my order in the next few weeks on an M1D. I talked to them for an hour on tuesday and they seem to sell a great M1D fully restored down to the scope they claim when you get it it will be NRA 100% down to the fully restored scope and mount. Verry nice guys at milltec. there prices on the rest of there stuff is verry high but the M1D is verry well priced. That is just my 2 cents on this subject. http://www.miltecharms.com/index.htm

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you haven't already you might want to ask Miltech if the M1-D barrel is "new production" or a new original barrel that was never installed. A real, GI, M1-D barrel will have drawing number D7312555 stamped on it - Usually at 12 O'clock under the rear handguard. Also they will have an early 1950's Springfield Arsenal manufacture date.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Ken96 - saw that many of the Greek M1Ds came back with a unique glossy black park finish. Can not be mistaked for a US finish.

Most M1Ds actually have a light gray park finish that was applied during the late 1960s. You will usually find the arsenals initials and year etched on one of the receiver's legs.

What finish was on M1Ds from the 1950s-early 1960s is debatible. Since many were built up supposidly by unit armourers - any arsenal finish should be correct. The Greenish type WWII park (cosmo turned), and the flat gray-black park usually found on Post WWII guns.

Hope of help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts