Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this, so please be patient with me. I bought an M1D just recently, and have read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos on this gun. The question I have is in one video I seen, the guy was saying that one thing to check is putting a loaded round bullet first in the end of the barrel and check how tight the barrel is. He said the round should go in only so far, that it should stop about a 1/16 of an inch short of the casing touching the end of the barrel. So as I saw it, there was a 1/16 of an inch of the copper showing where the bullet enters the casing. I tried this on my gun, and the bullet went in further , I.e. tthe casing touched the end of barrel. Is this an issue? Should I not shoot this gun? Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

· Banned
4,698 Posts
To really tell your muzzle wear correctly you need a real gauge. Depending on the round you used you will get different readings. Surplus M2 ball ammo and modern rounds will gauge different.

· Registered
267 Posts
The "bullet test" is a good way to get an idea of your muzzle wear, but a gauge is better. A new barrel will show a little over 1/4" of bullet showing, 1/8" will be about a 3 on the gauge, and if it goes to the brass it is over 5. A muzzle over 5 should show a good bit of lost accuracy but every rifle shoots different. I have a 1903 that shoots good with a 5 muzzle. Be sure to check your M1 was not counterbored and that would swallow a bullet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.