Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two and only keeping one - which one do you suggest I keep ? Don’t know much about them and I believe both are original ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
The one with the ordnance marking would be my keeper. The other could be said to be repro. without Gov't. marking.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,556 Posts
The dark colored one. Matches mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
pistol grips

the dark one seems to have unknown markings for real usgi-I have not seen a real one with that cross cannon nor one with a IO 3 marking.-the light colored one does seem to look like real usgi replacement grip--it probably belongs in the package

·
Registered
101 Posts
The light one is the most proper one, but it's also a replacement part for a damaged grip for rebuild--even though that exact part was also used on real M1A1. Don't let anyone stamp a crossed cannon on it. The other grip is no good unless it's for a reenacter.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Have two and only keeping one - which one do you suggest I keep ? Don’t know much about them and I believe both are original ones.
The cross cannon cartouche should only be by Inland and on the bottom of the grip. On arsenal rebuilds you would see an addition P proof placed on the side of the grip, but not the cross cannons. The first picture is a correct Inland cartouche, your's doesn't resemble the correct one, note the lack of cannon balls. So, being the wrong cartouche, in the wrong location, the darker grip has been enhanced, not in a good way.

Hopefully, this is helpful.

Good luck.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Both are correct grips for an M1A1. One is an original made by Overton for Inland. (OI with 3 ). The other is made by Royal for Inland. The acceptance stamp on the OI grip is correct. As to which one to keep it would depend on the time frame of the M1A1 stock, early or late production.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The crossed cannons is a reproduction stamp. There wouldn't be a stamp like that on an NOS grip. And the O I / 3, I've never seen one with a 3 on the bottom with the O I. The O I is most likely a reproduction too. Never seen one stamped like that. I'd pay $10 for it to put on a reproductino stock. The RI/3 is the only correct one.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sorry but you have NOT seen them all for sure. Both are correct. If you knew reproduction's you would realize that real grips have TWO HOLES and the repos have THREE.!!!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now I understand that you only thought you knew what you were talking about. Reproduction grips (I still have at least 2) only have 2 holes. Fake stocks can have a 3rd hole where the recoil plate hole is. That happens when someone cuts a normal stock down for a paratrooper stock. The grips are the same, repop or real.

So, why the exclamation points like you're upset? Did you sell him that fake grip or something?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oh no not up set. Just your not up on your information. Both grips are real and yes original grips do have an acceptance stamp on some right where this one is. I guess the wrapping paper it came in which is properly marked is fake too??????

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not the one who was wrong that repop grips have 3 holes, was I? I'm looking at one now. Wid, you're further proving you don't understand grips and ordnance inspection stamps. No NOS grip got a crossed cannon there unless it was already on a completed M1A1 Carbine with Inland action. Period.

You need to listen to every other person on the thread who has stated it's a fake. Because it's a fake. The RI/3 with no crossed cannons would be a correct NOS grip. This is like when you said a type II or III band screw fits a type I band.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well it does fit and works. Is it the proper screw for a type 1 band? Of course not but you only see and read what you want to. And the one stamped with the acceptance stamp? Well he took the grip from a USGI package and it's a fake????? NOT LIKEY!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well it does fit and works.
LOL! Thank you for that. Of course the type II or III screw DOES NOT fit in a type I band. Never even heard someone suggest that. LOL!
but you only see and read what you want to. And the one stamped with the acceptance stamp? Well he took the grip from a USGI package and it's a fake????? NOT LIKEY!!!!!
You're the one seeing things. Post a quote where he said that grip came from that package. He didn't.
And yes, "LIKEY". And VERY FAKEY. It didn't come from that package originally.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
OI with Ordnance belted crossed cannon logo or OI with RI/3 on base with pistol grip. Other M1A1 markings used in VARIOUS COMBINATIONS along with unmarked ,OI., S and SA on the base of the pistol grip plus the Ordnance belted crossed cannons on the right side. This is from Larry Ruth. Oh and the screw from a type three band, Can and many times DOES fit a type one band. Sure looks better then a screw from a hardware store like I told you before.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,380 Posts
Enfield Trader, keep both until you are absolutely confident as to which one should be used on a M1a1 [1st series or 2nd series. I believe there is a bit of difference in their profiles]. They will not lose value in the meantime !

Chuck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts