Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently put in to purchase a M1951 Beretta chambered in 9mm Parabellum. Currently it's on hold until Maryland State Police clear it for release, but before then I have a question regarding ammunition for it. What is the maximum charge load one of these pistols can handle safely? I know it can handle standard 9x19 commercial loads, but I was more concerned about whether or not it could handle 9mm NATO P+ rounds.

Do note: this is not a contract gun and is an actual Italian Beretta.

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put +P loads through it.

The locking configuration and a lot of the construction details of the slide shares many features with the P38, which are pretty well known to not handle overpowered loadings well (the slides crack).

Even the much later Beretta 92's and M9's shared this same weakness.

For the sake of your pistol, stick with standard loads only.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,535 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put +P loads through it.

The locking configuration and a lot of the construction details of the slide shares many features with the P38, which are pretty well known to not handle overpowered loadings well (the slides crack).

Even the much later Beretta 92's and M9's shared this same weakness.

For the sake of your pistol, stick with standard loads only.
1+ on this and ditto plus for Helwans

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Above posts are correct. Avoid +P in them.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,201 Posts
I would avoid NATO-spec 9x19 as well and stick with the relatively mild US spec standard ammo for this one (or P38).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Stick to Winchester white box or Federal 115 gr. FMJ. Its hard to find spare parts for these old Berettas so don't ride it too hard.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Stick to Winchester white box or Federal 115 gr. FMJ. Its hard to find spare parts for these old Berettas so don't ride it too hard.
Excellent suggestion. Winchester White Box is known to be a "wimpy 9mm round." Better to have a few mis-feeds than to have the slide and frame come apart in your hand!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Winchester WB FMJ is indeed a mild loading but I have had good luck with them in my old Berettas and my Walther P38s. Rarely a malfunction.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,801 Posts
... What is the maximum charge load one of these pistols can handle safely? I know it can handle standard 9x19 commercial loads, but I was more concerned about whether or not it could handle 9mm NATO P+ rounds.
Beretta has not produced the M951 for more than 50 years. If you want to approach "maximum" loads, whether they are specifically +P or not, why not buy a more modern pistol that was expressly designed to handle +P and be worry-free?

M

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Beretta has not produced the M951 for more than 50 years. If you want to approach "maximum" loads, whether they are specifically +P or not, why not buy a more modern pistol that was expressly designed to handle +P and be worry-free?

M
Excellent suggestion. You wouldn't use smokeless powder in a flintlock would you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

M
I live in MD and refuse to get the license tax. Plus I prefer C&R guns, so this works out fine. I was just asking not because I intend to get +P rounds, but out of an abundance of caution given it's age. Thank you all for the advice, it's definitely helped me in choosing the ammo I am going to purchase (probably 115 grain Tul Ammo, steel case, copper washed).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Federal Aluminum case 9mm FMJ from WALMART $9.97 a box would be good range ammo for your Beretta M1951

1 - 13 of 13 Posts