Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would one be sure that an M1917 had seen service with the Shanghai Volunteer Corps?

What would the value of such a rifle be, in decent shape?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wish I knew, according to what I saw on SRS, mine falls into the ser. # range of those rifles......

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wish I knew, according to what I saw on SRS, mine falls into the ser. # range of those rifles......
I am guessing that is the Springfield Research Service...unfortunately that seems to be no longer active, is there any service like this still available? I have a m1917, as well as a M1 garand on the way and am curious if there are any other good research sites.

Sorry to hi-jack, though it is somewhat related...

·
Gold Bullet member
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a couple recent auctions on a M1911 pistol with SVC marking. I assume that any such rifle would bear the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Grandfather was in the American Company of the SVC from 1915-1920. The attached photo at the range shows them using SMLEs. The group photo shows the American officers in British style uniforms. I gather they used whatever equipment was available.

Wish I had some close up photos or even his collar tabs. I've seen some photos of SVC medals and badges, and most just simply had "SVC". I imagine the armory marks would be an SVC cartouche.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts