Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nice M1917 made by Eddystone Sunday at a gunshow. I do have a few questions about what the marks on the left side of the stock below the rear sight ears are....arsenal rebuild markings? It does have an 11-18 dated barrel in oustanding condition. There are alot of "E"s stamped on various parts along with a few "W"s .

I paid $525 and she came with a decent 1942 dated Boyt sling. Finish is 95% and the stock is in nice shape. Near mint bore. Did i do ok? I've never seen one for under $475 in the last few years so i took a chance!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
the cartouch was added when they went thru refurb , none were present when they left the factory , i cannot recall anyone identifieing this mark defrinitively , but i could have missed it ,
the rifle sounds like a good one and i think your price was in keeping , but mostly it depends on if you are satisfied , there were a lot of parts mixing opportunities in service , sounds like you did well having mostly "E" marked parts , congrats

·
Registered
320 Posts
The boxed O.G.E.K. was applied at the Ogden Ordnance Depot by Elmer Keith (yes, that Elmer Keith) ... I cannot make out the other stamp ...

·
Registered
493 Posts
The OGEK stock marking represents the overhaul facility and the inspector. In this case OG is the Ogden Depot in Utah and EK is Elmer Keith, who would later become a well known authority on firearms.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A A H O, perhaps? Which might be Augusta Arsenal with an inspector using the initials H.O.?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
thats right , i recall now elmer keith if boxed , ed klouser if not boxed , its those pesky 3GM-k and 3GM-D markings that are unsubstantiated , but thought to be general motors

oh BTW originaly there were no "P" marks on the bottom of the wrist , those were added at some rearsenals too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fella's, going to try it out after work tonight!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
you will love it these are my most accurate rifle and im convinced it was a great design ---anyone shoot their P14 want to challenge that ? ive not shot mine its a mkI and ive shyed away so far ,

·
Registered
3 Posts
WTB 'W' marked parts

Looking for just a few more parts to finish my 1-18 Winchester M-1917. Hope someone out there has a nice 'W' marked extractor and handguard ring for thie early Winchester. Email to me at [email protected]
Thanks
Harvey A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts