Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a nice M1917 made by Eddystone Sunday at a gunshow. I do have a few questions about what the marks on the left side of the stock below the rear sight ears are....arsenal rebuild markings? It does have an 11-18 dated barrel in oustanding condition. There are alot of "E"s stamped on various parts along with a few "W"s .

I paid $525 and she came with a decent 1942 dated Boyt sling. Finish is 95% and the stock is in nice shape. Near mint bore. Did i do ok? I've never seen one for under $475 in the last few years so i took a chance!

· Registered
1,962 Posts
the cartouch was added when they went thru refurb , none were present when they left the factory , i cannot recall anyone identifieing this mark defrinitively , but i could have missed it ,
the rifle sounds like a good one and i think your price was in keeping , but mostly it depends on if you are satisfied , there were a lot of parts mixing opportunities in service , sounds like you did well having mostly "E" marked parts , congrats

· Registered
320 Posts
The boxed O.G.E.K. was applied at the Ogden Ordnance Depot by Elmer Keith (yes, that Elmer Keith) ... I cannot make out the other stamp ...

· Registered
320 Posts
A A H O, perhaps? Which might be Augusta Arsenal with an inspector using the initials H.O.?

· Registered
1,962 Posts
thats right , i recall now elmer keith if boxed , ed klouser if not boxed , its those pesky 3GM-k and 3GM-D markings that are unsubstantiated , but thought to be general motors

oh BTW originaly there were no "P" marks on the bottom of the wrist , those were added at some rearsenals too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.