Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted an ad at Samco for these for $169.95. Cheap. Evidently they've been on the market for awhile. "Manufactured at famous Oviedo factory in Spain for the Spanish Army. Converted to use ever plentiful 7.62 Nato (.308WIN) round."

From what I'm reading, the 7.62 NATO is NOT the same as .308, being older, etc. Is this rifle safe to shoot? I've read varying opinions at different places, some saying it's not strong enough. In general, Gunboards peeps have a little more trust in my book that some unknowns, and you can find anything on the internet...

·
Banned
7,387 Posts
Well it depends on who you talk to but generally a small ring mauser should not be fired at .308 pressures but yes I've seen it done all the time , seems the action can take it but if there was a case failure the gas venting is in your face , yes they are ported on the side of the reciever ring but it's up to you

·
Registered
249 Posts
I may be wrong, but I recall that the M1916 Spanish Mausers were converted to use the 7.62 CETME round, and NOT the 7.62 NATO, which has considerable more giddy-up. I purchased online awhile ago what I thought was a 7X57 mm, and it turned out to be 7.62. I did a lot of research at the time, and concluded that I would not want to shoot either .308 Win OR 7.62 Nato in it. It is now taking up space in my gun room until I can trade it off. A nice handy little carbine in 7x57 mm, but scary in 7.62. A quick search of the internet for the history of 7.62 CETME should tell you all you need to know.

Best,
Roger

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I owned a refurbished Oviedo M93 in 308 for years,shot it thousands of times with Aussie military ammo,and commercial mil reloads,as well as my own reloads.Great gun ,in my opinion.In those days it was value at around $50,so $170 all these inflationary years later is a bargain.I would buy another one tomorrow at that price.Issues in my case were a loose front band,that was annoying,and the cam track on the back of the bolt was a little hard,and chipped on the edges.Had to be cleaned up with a stone.I didnt like the straight mauser type military stock,they seem to be too sharp on the comb.Sold it to a good friend when I needed money for a business.Oh,nearly forgot, 308/243 type cases dont feed well out of any Mauser,and that includes a Parker Hale.Regards John.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Strong enough. By test at White Labs and by my comparison with the '98 action. No worries at all there. It easily meets proof requirements.
But:
Poorer gas handling
There are lots of overpressure .308 Bubba and cheap poor quality commercial reloadings.
So:
Stick to milspec 7.62x51 or your own moderate pressure .308 reloads.
WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

BTW the CETME cartridge wasn't developed for the FR7 but for the CETME Modelo B to make it controllable in full auto fire. They started with the 7.92 Kurz and ended up with a light load 7.62x51 cartridge dimensionally compatible with the NATO round. In any case the Spanish Army switched fairly quickly on a NATO 7.62x51 conversion of the Modelo B.

·
Registered
304 Posts
1. The idea that .308 is loaded to much higher pressures than 7.62 x 51 is an erroneous net rumor based on pressure measurements with two different types of gauges. The pressure specs are the same when they are both measured with the same gauge as is now the current STANAG standard.

2. The 7.62 CETME is a lower recoil round, but not lower pressure. Spanish military sources list the same pressure specs for the CETME and NATO rounds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
While my popcorn is popping:
1-the ORIGINAL Spanish Army handbook calls for 762x51 ammo,
2-it does NOT refer to any special or low powered round.
Gotta go, popcorn is ready.
Okrana

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are there any emoticons with "egg on face"? Guess I'll have to take mine out and shoot it. Still wish it had been a 7x57 though. Import mark was illegible, and I didn't figure it out until I noticed the improper stock to metal fit at the shoulder where barrel was set back to take the shorter cartridge. Felt bad for seller who had poor eyesight and was undergoing chemo, so I made no issue of it. I paid $200 for mine on GB as in impulse purchase.....may have been surfing and imbibing at the time.....for a gun in fair to good shape. You may want to take a look at what is available on Gunbroker to get an idea of current prices and condition. I don't know if this will be legible, but it's an jpeg of an old Guns and Ammo article regarding these rifles that you may find interesting. If not legible, you should be able to find it online. I'm off to go make popcorn.

Best,
Roger

Info - Guns & Ammo Article - .308 Model 1916 Spanish Mauser.jpg

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Yes the article is readable,says"the recoil is stout".Yep,I remember that allright.One of these with the new 308 bore,virtually unfired is fantastic value for that price.Of course, the 308,with 150 or 180 gr bullets will easily dispatch anything in Australia,and was murder on wild pigs and scrub bulls.The only drawback,slight,is they only feed about three cartriges reliably from the magazine,due to the shape of the case.In Australia,a dealer would have a ticket price of $ 700-800 on that same gun.Thats what happens when gun registration comes in.No competition.Regards John.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
1. The idea that .308 is loaded to much higher pressures than 7.62 x 51 is an erroneous net rumor based on pressure measurements with two different types of gauges. The pressure specs are the same when they are both measured with the same gauge as is now the current STANAG standard.
The problem isn't the spec pressure but the wild-ass reloads some folks put out as ".308". When it says milspec 7.62x51 its a lot more likely to be within the spec.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree that reloads are a potential problem, but there is no easy way of measuring pressure for reloads. I was referring to the SAAMI pessure specs for commercial .308. The current CIP pressure standard for commercial .308 is the same as the NATO pressure standard because they use the same exact gauge. The SAAMI spec is slightly different from the CIP spec because they don't use the same gauge.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,694 Posts
Since your popcorn is ready i thought i'd throw this in. Think an investment in a headspace gauge is a wise investment on any milsurp rifle especially with those of spanish origin. The latter seem more prone to have been built with generous headspace which may increase with age and use.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I don't know about your experience john k, one of my sweetest functioning rifles is a Chilean 1912-61 in 7.62. Never had a misfeed

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,314 Posts
Wow it didnt go on as far as I thought the usual Spanish .308 Mauser safety conversation usually does.Thank God!.I think there is no record of a Import 93 action Mauser blowing up.But there are knot heads out there that shouldn't reload their own(Faster is better).Then there is the never ending "Soft Spanish Steel" myths.Check out Fritz's Spanish mauser website for lots of great info on the Spanish 93 rifle family

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had one of the M 1916 Spanish short rifles in 7.62 and put plenty of OK headstamped NATO ammo as well as commercial Winchester ,Federal and Remington .308 ammo through it back in the late 80's and early 90's. I only used 150 grain ammo.It was very accurate and much fun to shoot. Never had any issues or problems with it.

Of course the "ever plentiful" aspect of 7.62 NATO ammo is not quite as true today as it was 25 years ago. Winchester 7.62x51mm NATO 147 grain FMJ ammo might be a good round for one of these rifles. I'd avoid commercial .308 ammo or any bullet heavier than 150 grains in a 1916 just to be on the safe side. If you just want a Mauser in 7.62 I'd reccomend a Isreali K-98 which can be found on the auction sites from time to time which are just as much fun and have the security of the third safety lug on the bolt .

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
As it happens, I just walked back in the house from shooting my 1916. In an abundance of caution, I have been shooting the Hornaday Custom Lite, 125 g. ammo. The rifle functions fine, the recoil is minimal, and the fired brass is perfect. Most of the "knowledge" of the danger of these rifles is from internet gossip, not experience. Evidence of this is that, after years of sells, Sarco is still in business and has not been sued into bankruptcy for selling defective products.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,439 Posts
That went better than usual. I barely ate any of my Milk Duds. Don't like popcorn. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts