Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Jantsen's book, the M1905 and the M1917 look very similar, not to mention the M1913 for the P14/P17. I do not know much about bayonets 9as you can tell!); how can you ID a M1905 vs a m1917?

And what is the relative value of these models? SOG is selling the M1913 for what seems to be a good price, any comments?

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
The m1917 and the m1913 (p1913) are the same except for the stamps. Made on the same machinery to the same specifications. The p1913 was made by american companies for the british to use with the p1914 rifle. As the US joined WWI excisting stocks of p1913 bayonets were taken over by the US army and restamped, then new ones were made designated M1917. So, really no difference. They are easy to identify by the two vertical grooves in the grips to avoid them being mixed up with british 1907 bayonets that were very similar, but which would not fit the 1914/1917 rifle.

The M1905 is very different from the two aforementioned. Different crossguard, different blade etc, you'll spot the difference easily.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Just what I need, getting an interest in bayonets! I've already near marital counciling due to over-use of my C&R FFL! :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
value wise you will pay much more for real M1905s than you will for M1917s or P1913s , or P1907s for that matter [unless its a hooked quillon and then it will command top dollar]
you need to get a couple books if you are going to start buying these bigger dollar items ,
get jansens notebook "bayonets"
get "british and commonwealth bayonets" by skennerton
get gary cunninghams "american military bayonets of the 20th century"
get bill porters books - sorry bill i cant come up with a tittle off my .....
or search the web sites of frank trzaska http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/Table of Contents.htm
and old smithy
http://old-smithy.info/index.htm
these sources will get you going on the two you mentioned and both directions from each ,

the M1917 [for the M1917 rifle]is just an evolvement of the P1913 [for the P1913/1914 rifle]which the british fashioned directly from the P1907[for the SMLE mkIII/III* rifles] simply has a diferent muzzle ring and scales have the cross cuts for easy ID as stated , they are identical other than markings and manufactured by the same two US companies , the M1905 was manufactured by the two US arsenals originaly , and later by US commercial contractors , it will fit everything from a krag rifle to the M1garand , but not the M1917 rifle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts