Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at potentially purchasing a 1903 Springfield that the seller claims is a USMC rebuild. I researched the characteristics and it has some but is missing others. It has the electro penciled bolt, hatcher hole, large gas hole in bolt and no rebuild stamps. Its missing a sledgly barrel, stippling on the buttplate. And I am unsure if it has the "light parkerization" that is characteristic of USMC Rebuilds. The barrel is dated 1932 with just the standard Springfield markings.. He is asking 1,000. Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photos

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
This looks to me like a basement put together, scant grip stocks always make me think it's not a WWII item. They did not become widely available until long after the war. This one also has a 1903A3 lower band spring. The military bolt numbering was done on the bolt body not the handle boss. The Greeks marked the bolts this way. That said, the price seems reasonable for what should be an excellent shooter if the bore is good.

·
Banned
2,310 Posts
Why hate on scant stocks? They're good pieces of wood, well made. Rather have one of those on an M1903 than a pinned A3 stock cranked out in haste with much less attention put to the bedding details.

Agree that it is likely a Greek rebuild. But if the 1932 barrel is good at both ends, you have a strong NS action with a Hatcher hole in it. If he's pricing it at $1000 as a "Marine" gun you might be able to get it for less after you let him down gently. As always, buy the rifle, not the story.

·
Registered
672 Posts
USMC Gun Guy, the Marines did use the 7/41 Sedgley barrels. If the barrel was installed by the Marines, it should show vise marks on the barrel under the handguard. Also on the left hand side of the receiver should have an additional gas escape hole which is incorrectly attributed to Julian Hatcher and referred to as the Hatcher Hole. Even though Hatcher had absolutely nothing to do with it.

It also would have had the serial electro penciled on the bolt body, and a flat buttplate would have have been chiseled or stippled. But either of those traits could have easily been swapped later.

The vise marks and additional gas escape hole should be there though.

Is it a 1.01 million serial? It's hard for me to read.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.