Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up in 1995, I traded a local collector a WWI 2nd Marine division doughboy helmet for it. This pickelhaube was made in 1900 and is marked to the 42nd Jager regiment. It has the moveable vent on the rear spine, and the spike does not unscrew. Somewhere along the past 114 years the front brass visor became missing, and was replaced with a M15 grey version that was painted to resemble the brass. The helmet was missing its chinstrap so I bought one from reddicks in 95 to display on it, as well as a cheesy set of homemade cockades to put on it ( back in 95 they didn't make repro cockades ) and with no internet finding an original set was impossible for me.

The leather body on this is in pretty good shape, there is some crazing to the leather, but the overall shape is still pretty good, as is the brown leather liner. The helmet has one set of plate holes. Opposite the JR42 1900 stampings, the other side has some faint markings that look to be H K..?? I've always assumed that it could be a partial makers marking.

With all the repro pickelhaube parts now being made, I have thought about restoring this to its former glory, but for the time being it sits on display in my military curio cabinet. Also shown is 1917 gas maske set and 1st class Iron Cross.

tp://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/7387chevynut/DSC06086.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice helmet. Note however that the JR42 marking means Infantry Regiment 42 (5th Pomeranian, Prinz Moritz von Anhalt-Dessau, garrisoned at Straslund and Greifswald) as the Germans sometimes used the letter J as an I. Also, in 1900 there were no Jager regiments, only Jager Battalions, which would be marked JB. And Jagers wore shakos not spike helmets.
Steve

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice helmet. Note however that the JR42 marking means Infantry Regiment 42 (5th Pomeranian, Prinz Moritz von Anhalt-Dessau, garrisoned at Straslund and Greifswald) as the Germans sometimes used the letter J as an I. Also, in 1900 there were no Jager regiments, only Jager Battalions, which would be marked JB. And Jagers wore shakos not spike helmets.
Steve
Thanks for that info Steve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts