Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm straying a long ways from the M1903s and Krags I usually discuss, but a friend of mine bought a Terni Carcano M1891 rifle at a gunshow last weekend. The stock is in two pieces and pulls apart at the lower band. It isn't a barracks cut.

1) What models used the two-piece stock which I describe?

2) The stock on the rifle pulls apart very easily. What would have held it together - a missing screw or other device?

Thanks!

Rick the Librarian

·
Diamnd Bullet member
410 Posts
I have two M91 long rifles that are cut as you describe. One is made by Torino in 1896 and has a walnut stock, the other is a Terni made in 1917 with a beech stock. These are not duffle cut but appear to be arsenal repairs. Both of my stocks have the pieces overlap in the rear band area and cannot be seen unless the rear band is removed or the barreled action is out of the stock and both are glued and pinned with small wooden dowels.

·
Diamnd Bullet member
410 Posts
Rick the splice sounds identicle to what I have but it seems the stock your friend has somehow didn't get glued and pinned. It's no biggie to do, the holes are centered midway in the splice and drilled up at about a 45 degree angle (from the outside), the dowels look to be about 3/16" dia. and are sanded flush both inside and outside of the stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts