·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FABIAN23
Netherlands
86 Posts
Posted - 03/31/2007 : 5:21:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have finally aquired one of the few officially adopted military pinfire revolvers, a M/1863 11mm Lefaucheux pinfire revolver marked with the 3 Swedish crowns in excellent condition. I have read that not many of these were produced, and subsequently many were swiftly converted to 11mm CF, this one escaped unscathed luckily for me.

Can any Swedes out there tell me a bit more about them and who they were issued to?

Written in pencil on the inside of the right grip is written: "H.Hagberg, Vennerbergspl.4, Boras", and also "Boras, -57".
I found a Vennerbergsplatsen in the town of Boras in Sweden, are these perhaps the details of a former owner?

Will add pics if interest is there
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - FABIAN23 on 04/02/2007 4:09:57 PM

Dutchman
Posted - 03/31/2007 : 9:07:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Could well be a former civilian owner who wanted to mark the gun for possible ownership evidence in case of theft. Feel free to post photos if you want.

arilar
Posted - 04/01/2007 : 05:45:19 AM

Yes Dutchman is perfectly right! A standard procedure in that time if you wanted to mark your items in case of getting them lost. So that is name of former civilian owner with adress. BTW. Everybody loves pics!!

FABIAN23

Posted - 04/02/2007 : 4:09:19 PM

Here goes:

I believe these were blued originally, but no trace remains. It is a BIG revolver, think 6" Colt SAA. Lock up and timing is as tight as my S&W625, with an ingenious cylinder lock up mechanism comprising a stud that sticks out of the frame just below the loading gate when the hammer is cocked to block the cylinder stop lugs on the rim of the cylinder. From the markings it looks like navy issue since the navy decomission stamp is on the bottom right of the frame, called something like 'Flottans kassationstempel' or something...correct me if I'm wrong

I know a French company will be producing long awaited reloading kits for 11mm pinfire by the end of the year so I will eventually take it to the range

arilar
Gunboards Premium Member
Posted - 04/02/2007 : 4:20:53 PM

Nice pics! Yes "Flottans kassationsstämpel" is right. Didnt "Henry Krank" sell a system for reloading pinfire-revolvers? Years ago a got brass and pins from Krank:s when I had and used a 1863 as yours.

FABIAN23
Posted - 04/03/2007 : 03:26:29 AM

Thanks Arilar! I almost got the spelling right too!

I will have to check up on Henry Krank. How did yours shoot? The rifling in mine is pretty good. Do you have loading info it?

JK
Posted - 04/04/2007 : 7:34:44 PM

Hello FABIAN23
That is a beautiful revolver you have.

I have one that was converted to center-fire. Can you please tell me how to remove the cylinder pin, so that I can remove the cylinder for cleaning. Or do I have to disassemble the frame to remove cylinder?

FABIAN23
Posted - 04/05/2007 : 03:47:12 AM

Thanks JK! Disassembly is really straight forward.

To separate the barrel assembly from the frame, you pull back to half-cock, take out the screw just forward of the trigger guard, and unscrew the barrel assembly off the cylinder pin. The cylinder then slides off.

The lockwork of the revolver is actually mechanically very simple with big chunky components, I love it, nothing delicate about the internaly of this beast.

What loads do you use for CF cartridges?

JK
Posted - 04/05/2007 : 3:57:28 PM

FABIAN23
Thank you very much for the cylinder removal instructions. They will come in most handy

As far as cartridges go, I have not gotten that far yet. I just received it from Ken Buch. This one is also in super condition.
Do you have any ideas as to what might work as far as cases?

FABIAN23
Netherlands
Posted - 04/06/2007 : 03:46:14 AM

A slightly shortened 45 ACP fits into mine nicely, but 11mm pinfire cases are still available here to I will use them. There was another fella on this site who did a sticky thread on his converted revolver and ammo like yours, can't find it at the moment.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts