Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a registered fully automatic M16 with walnut stocks made by Charlie Erb. The receiver is stamped “ordinance arms, Santa Clara CA”. I found it at a dealer in Ohio in 1994.
Musical instrument accessory Shotgun Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Air gun

When I bought it, I was told there were only 10 of them made. Does anyone know the story on these weapons?
Thanks!
Ed

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Really cool. Could you please post more pictures such as side views and close-ups of the wooden pieces? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it is cool and immensely fun at the range. Here’s some more pictures.
I was told by two dealers that the ten were made as presentation weapons to Generals after the Vietnam war, but I don’t see how that would have been legal.
I’ve had it now 27 years and time to let someone else enjoy.
Any idea the value?
Product Brown Photograph Line Technology
Shotgun Musical instrument accessory Field Strap Air gun
Joint Wrist Bicycle accessory Knee Bicycle part
Product Brown Textile Photograph Technology

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks, it is cool and immensely fun at the range. Here’s some more pictures.
I was told by two dealers that the ten were made as presentation weapons to Generals after the Vietnam war, but I don’t see how that would have been legal.
I’ve had it now 27 years and time to let someone else enjoy.
Any idea the value?
ORDCO wasn’t a military contractor, so the story that these were presentation guns to generals is just that- a story. From ARFCOM is a very brief history of ORDCO (shamelessly copied):

Ordnance Design Co. aka ORDCO was a small company in Santa Clara CA. in the1970's
owned and operated by Ed Ryberg (sp). Hence the ER15 model designation. He made sten gun
recievers and other class 3 stuff. Don't know where he is today.
The AR15 reciever he made was an investment casting, cast by a firm in So.Cal. and finished by
him in his shop in Santa Clara,CA. I believe this reciever has the distinction of being the first
reciever (AR type) to be like the M16 externally. The others to this point were very boxy looking
but had all the holes in the right place for the fire control parts. The only problem I know of with
these receivers (exept for being investment cast) was that the buffer retainer pin hole was not in
the right place and the buffer took a beating by the pin. The hole should be farther forward so the
pin doesn't stop the buffer in it's forward position.The buffer should remain in contact with the
bolt carrier during the entire firing cycle and the retainer should only retain the buffer when the
recievers are hinged open.

As a non-Colt transferable RR M16 I’d guess its value wouldn’t be much different than any other non-Colt RR M16; probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $20k.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Neat gun - I have one of the Armi - Jager 22s with the wood stocks. there is a company that makes the wood - I will see if I can find the link again. As far as value - the comments above would seem to be spot on - sort of like any other non- colt transferable - maybe a little more if some guy was willing to pay premiums for the wood stocks, but $20k-ish would probably be a good starting number.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I spoke with Ed Rydberg on the phone a number of months ago. He is FULL of stories.
So it appears Ed made the semi auto lower and Charlie Erb converted it. The whole presentation gift story does not make sense. Ed also made a few lower receivers for Dutch AR10s.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Blackwood trading makes a sort of wood stock these days if you want one. 3D printed resin with wood dust in substrate .

·
Gold Bullet member
1,831 Posts
Ironwood designs was still making wooden AR stocks recently.
many years ago a dealer named Jack L. Martinez, 14700 Sunnybank ave, Bakersfield CA had a catalog of military
parts, very early AR-10 and M16/AR-15 plus parts from other countries.
#761 Buttstock, wood, early original, stripped AR-10 Sudanese Model

There was also a Dutch aluminum buttstock for rifle grenades but unable to find listing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.