Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,346 Posts
I had an opportunity to buy a M14 about two years ago. I did not have enough money at that time. I still grieve about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My M14 and M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

·
66,346 Posts
M14 or M1A ??

·
Registered
115 Posts
M14! Made by Winchester.

Regards,

Mestari

·
66,346 Posts
With full auto capacity ??

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is unaltered but I do not have and need the full auto capacity.

·
66,346 Posts
Did they make any M14's without full auto capacity ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
If his M14 is unaltered all he needs for full auto is the connector assy. Winchester never made any semi auto M14s.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello!

The M14, as far I know, was originally selective fire weapon but was difficult to control in the full-auto mode.

The U.S. Army later installed the round knob instead of the winged selector thus making the rifle semi-auto only.

Regards,

Mestari

·
Registered
787 Posts
Very interesting.
I can remember Woolworths having M-14's for about $800.00 in mint condition. I now wish I had bought one! The local Natl. Guard used them as target rifles in competition matches, not sure of the configuration. They did not have a long service life except for early Nam.
Subvet
Subvet

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
96,359 Posts
Hello!

The M14, as far I know, was originally selective fire weapon but was difficult to control in the full-auto mode.

The U.S. Army later installed the round knob instead of the winged selector thus making the rifle semi-auto only.

Regards,

Mestari
Actually, it was never the Army's intent to have all M14s issued selective-fire enabled. The squad's autoriflemen were to have M14s with the selector switch installed, with all the rest of the required switches and associated hardware held in the unit arms room, for installaltion if deemed necessary by command. There was considerable discussion of this both during ROTC training and then when i was going through the Ordnance Officer Basic Course. With proper trigger control the M14 is not as uncontrollable as most think (this was demonstrated to us at Fort Sill), but long bursts are NOTsomething most folks (not sure anybody can, in fact) can manage with any degree of control at all (easier with the rarely encountered E2 variant, with bipod and straight stock, as long as you are firing ot prone).

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
In BRMC-Basic Rifle Marksmanship Course-in BCT at Fort Dix in 1967 an instructor would fire an M-14 in full auto-plenty of tracers to show it was for real-from his crotch and off his chin to show there was no "recoil".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts