Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow asked me to look at a Garand he just inherited. Mid WW2 serial number. It has an 03A3 2 groove barrel on it. This is the second one of those I have seen. The original barrel stub was bored and threaded, then the A3 barrel was turned and threaded and screwed into the stub. It was certainly very labor intensive and it is a quality job, not a BUBBA project. The first indication of the job was the barrel was blued and the rest had slight pitting and was parkerized. It appeared to function quite well and I think it would be good shooter.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
it was somewhat common back in the day, when the Garand Barrels were hard to get,

seen several over the years, and all shot well

cannot remember the company that was supposedly doing it, but thinking they were out of Cali...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
I think it was Fed Ord that was doing them. However, I have seen some with a GI stock number and a story that the government did some????
probably Fed Ord,
the GI stock number is on the part of the barrel that is left from the original barrel,
.gov has\had plenty of replacement parts, us civilians did not at the time, (except 03 parts)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
careful....it will fail,, and fail badly.
they low temp soldered that barrel inside a garand barrel stub.
firing it, makes the barrel move forward, and you get a nasty case head failure.
remove it, and cut it up.
check to see if the receiver is a welded together example as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.