Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it out Sunday fired 6 clips though it , to make sure it function alright, and it did , the next time I will sight it in as soon as figure out what load I'm going to shoot in it. I think 150 grn. bullets I got are to light , I'm thinking maybe 165 grn BT bullet would be better. in my 03A3 I'm using 180 grn BT bullet and its perfect

Captain Emo

ser# 1517xx

the other side has

EAT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like a fine specimen from here! I think I would snap up one like that at $500 as well. I have been browsing the local shows for about a year and they are few and far between with one that at least LOOKS as nice as yours being 750+. I guess it would have to be a great deal like yours as much as anything as I have to try to think where I could even shoot it? Not much in the way of rifle ranges around here without driving a couple hours to get to them. What kind of throat and muzzle numbers did you get? Your pictures help me to dream on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like a nice one. I picked up a SG M1 from CMP a couple of weeks ago and finally got it cleaned up. Nice 6 digit SN dating to March 1942, so I'm liking to think that it saw a lot of action...

Who knows. :)

Enjoy your M1!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nice gun at a great price! I am shooting a 150gr with 48.5gr of H4895. This is supposedly a "good" load for the Garand that will not hurt the gas system.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
she looks to be a fine example , and that is indeed a decent price , and with a bayo & scabord as well , i think you did very well

·
Copper Bullet member
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI SALENITY

I have never used H4895 or IMR4895 I have always used H414 in my 03/A3 (180 grn spbt)

may try to get some this week end to try out I have 2 or 3 boxes of 165 grn spbt bullets already but don't have a lot of powder

NORM

·
Registered
589 Posts
Very nice rifle for the price. You done good there.

Watch the handloads for these. The Garand is very particular as to powder burn rate and bullet weight. Bullet weights between 150 to 168 grain are recommended limits.

G

·
0 Posts
Really good deal bordering on theft especially with the bayonet. The 10' bayos start about 75 and up from there. Who is the maker and what is the barrel date? Looks like an AR sling with M1 sling hardware. Nice snag.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Varget and 4895 are possibly the best powders for general use with a Garand, the pressure curve they develop is just right for the mechanism. I also use the CCI 34 hard primers as a safety margin.

G

·
0 Posts
What's the markings on the bayonet? Looks like a Danish scabbard? I looked again. not Danish. I dunno, Italian? Never heard of a EAT mark.

Jim

·
Copper Bullet member
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
godsey5

These are they only marks on the blade
and I don't know what they mean

ser# 1517xx

the other side has

EAT

teby

I'm going to try and get some 4895 and some primers this week end at the gun show in LAKELAND this week end ,all the primers I have are just standard primers
when I bought the rifle I order 30-06 Greek M2 Surplus, 150gr FMJ, 480 rd cases on Garand clips in bandoleers. just for the clips and brass

NORM

·
Registered
73 Posts
gaweidert
I save all my 180 grn. bullets for my A3/03 and just shoot the
165 grn. in my M1

NORM
Norm,

180 grain bullets are fine for the M1... BUT, H-414 powder may be too slow for the gas system.

Back in the 1950's, when the M1 rifle was first being made available for civilian Highpower competitors, the techies at Springfield Armory (the REAL one ) handed down the following "M1 rifle gas system safe load rules" to the NRA and CMP to pass on to the shooters.

1) NEVER shoot bullets HEAVIER than 180 grains
2) NEVER shoot powder that is SLOWER than IMR-4320

If I'm not mistaken, H-414 is slower than 4320..... You might want to check a powder burn rate chart to be certain before using it in your M1.

THE powder for the M1 rifle has always been 4895. It was the powder used in USGI M2 ammo with a 147-152 grain fmj bullet. The perennial Highpower target load for the M1 rifle for the last 40+ years has been a 168-175 grain Match bullet over IMR-4064 powder. Good stuff.

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

1 - 20 of 28 Posts