Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is a good price for the main M1 Garand stock, the largest piece? I just picked up 5 of them at a local auction. With premium I walked out the door dropping $155, and change? I checked on Liberty tree collectors. And they wanted $80 for one. I guess I did ok?

Plan is to keep the two nicest ones as spares in case the one on my gun now ever cracks, then sell the rest.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What do you think is a good price for the main M1 Garand stock, the largest piece? I just picked up 5 of them at a local auction. With premium I walked out the door dropping $155, and change? I checked on Liberty tree collectors. And they wanted $80 for one. I guess I did ok?

Plan is to keep the two nicest ones as spares in case the one on my gun now ever cracks, then sell the rest.
Guess it would depend if they have any stampings on them. That would narrow them down to interest. Also, condition plays a big factor. Check the CMP forum as well for comparison.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None of the have the butt plate attached, or any metal parts on them. Two have painted numbers or something on them. They appear to be NOS, or lightly used spares. I'll get a few pictures of them shortly.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Stock on the left is very light in weight, compared to the rest. No. 2 from the left (with the 63 in red circle, I thought was the nicest, but it has those two big circle dings in the wood. 3 and 4, are nice, save for all the little wormlike holes in the wood. They only go into the wood maybe a millimeter, and all are uniform sized like that a ball point pen would make if jabbed into the wood. No 5 is in about the nicest shape save for the worn finish. None have any visible cracks that I can see. All are serviceable enough to be used, and I'm sure with some light cleaning, all would probably work just fine. I'm just curious to see if I paid ok or too much for these.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Stock on the left is very light in weight, compared to the rest. No. 2 from the left (with the 63 in red circle, I thought was the nicest, but it has those two big circle dings in the wood. 3 and 4, are nice, save for all the little wormlike holes in the wood. They only go into the wood maybe a millimeter, and all are uniform sized like that a ball point pen would make if jabbed into the wood. No 5 is in about the nicest shape save for the worn finish. None have any visible cracks that I can see. All are serviceable enough to be used, and I'm sure with some light cleaning, all would probably work just fine. I'm just curious to see if I paid ok or too much for these.
My guess is somebody was in the habit of slamming the bullets in a loaded clip into the stock to get the rounds all 'aligned' in the clip before putting the clip into the rifle.

It is so much easier for some people to do this than it is to load the clips correctly in the first place.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My guess is somebody was in the habit of slamming the bullets in a loaded clip into the stock to get the rounds all 'aligned' in the clip before putting the clip into the rifle.

It is so much easier for some people to do this than it is to load the clips correctly in the first place.
This makes sense. The holes are only on the right side of the stocks, which is the side the soldier would be holding the clip. Strange practice indeed.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Price them and sell for what you can. You are already ahead of the game.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't know. I'm not versed enough in M1s to tell the difference. Like I said I bought them simply to have a couple nice spares for my CMP M1 in the event the one on the gun now ever develops a crack, etc. I'm going to do some light cleaning with some purple power or other mild decreaser and will see how they come out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts