Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an abbreviated listing of M1 Garand Serial Numbers which is not very good. According it the list I have, my M1 Garand was never made!

Is there some website which has a compete and comprehensive list of M1 Garand serial numbers? I tried a search but found nothing. The Garand Collectors site had no serial number lists mentioned. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
What is your sn?

You have a few WWII rifles reportedly found outside their reported sn# blocks. You have some overlapping sn# blocks during WWII (actually possible to have a WRA and SA with same sn#).

You should not have any# between 3.9 million and 4.2 million. I have not read what the highest 3.8 Million SA sn# is? Suspect it is changing quite regularly.

The list of 6 Million SA sn# published in books is incomplete. New high numbers have popped up since most were published. Only up to date info is in GCA articles.

Then you got commercial Springfield sn#s?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your sn?

You have a few WWII rifles reportedly found outside their reported sn# blocks. You have some overlapping sn# blocks during WWII (actually possible to have a WRA and SA with same sn#).
I had not seen that list before but it is great, a world of difference better than the list I have. However, my Winchester M1 Garand is not on that list either. It says that the last serial number produced in Aug. of 1943 was 1380000. The serial number of my Winchester M1 Garand is 1380394. That is 394 numbers after the numbering stopped! Would this be a common thing?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I had not seen that list before but it is great, a world of difference better than the list I have. However, my Winchester M1 Garand is not on that list either. It says that the last serial number produced in Aug. of 1943 was 1380000. The serial number of my Winchester M1 Garand is 1380394. That is 394 numbers after the numbering stopped! Would this be a common thing?
You have some bad info, last known WRA Garand is in the 1,640,000 range

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You have some bad info, last known WRA Garand is in the 1,640,000 range
Look at the list posted above and in the Winchester Section, under Aug. 1943 you will find, the highest number listed as 1380000 and 2305850-1305932.

I'm just going by what I see posted. If the true number is 1640000, then you should provide the author of the comprehensive list your information so he can change and correct/update his list.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
There is a difference between - highest sn# reported, and last sn#used.

I own WRA -SN# 2,532,417 made Dec. 1944

and WRA – SN# 1,616,398 made Apr. 1945

Picture from CMP auction that might show how chaotic sn#s were. Wish I owned them.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.