Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know if there is or has ever been a conversion kit to allow an M1 to accept BAR magazines? I know this is an odd question, but the idea appeals to me. Especially if it could be done without damage to the rifle ( I could switch it back to original configuration). Any and all input would be appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Been done.Some work ok,some dont feed correctly.On the CMP Garand board back in early november they talked about this for awhile.You need to either narrow the magazine a bit,or machine the inside of the receiver.A M14 trigger group,or a Italian BM59 trigger group can be used to make it go together.If your a machinist it may be a project.If not just get a M1a1 like everyone else,I think you"d be happier sooner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Converting the M1 rifle to accept mags (either BAR mags or M14 mags with a .308 barrel.) can be done... but it's a permanent switch.

The receiver has to be modified to do this and there is no going back.

It's also not cheap..... You might as well buy an M14 clone as to modify an M1. You'll have just as much $$$ in it in the end.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
If you look into the history of the Garand, you will discover that Uncle did it way back in the mid-1940s as part of the development cycle that ended in the M14.

You can do it now - but as noted, it is a one-way street and will be expensive. Get a BM-59 or an M1A or M14S if you want a Garand-style gun with a removable magazine.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
But the whole point of the conversion would be to have a box mag fed M1 garand in the original 30-06.
I see no point in doing anything of the sorts only to convert it to 308. If you want 308, buy a M1A. And if your going through the time money and trouble of converting a garand to mag fed, KEEP IT 30-06.
Thats what I would like to have. A mag fed 30-06 garand. Can we say COOL....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cool factor is part of it. The other is that I have quite a lot of 30-06 ammo, both surplus and hand-loaded. I don't like the idea of permanent alteration to the Garand. I will most likely look into the details at least out of curiosity.

Paul

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
buy an M1A it uses the mags and lets you have both the capacity in the M1A and the "PING" in the M1rifle , its nostalgic , and its cheaper in the long run with better results , pluss you then have two great battle rifles

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's a great idea, when it's your money.

I love the Garand as is. But I often have thought about a magazine instead of the original clip. Looks like it can be done. The price issue is your call.
I still think the M1A1 is a great choice. The .308 is a very efficient and accurate round.
I would not blame you if you spent your money on the project to convert your M1. If you want cool, you would have it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jeez, let's be realistic here. For the cost of converting an M-1 rifle into a box magazine, you could get another M-1 rifle. OR, you could buy a bunch of 06', practice with the Garand, and be far deadlier than 99% of the box magazine, spray and pray "operators" out there with tricked out AK's and M-4 lookalikes.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Makes you wonder why they didn't design it to take BAR mags to begin with.
Honestly at the time the U.S. Army Ordnance published their requirements for a semi-automatic rifle they didn't want a box fed magazine infantry rifle. In fact their exact words were that "a detachable magazine was acceptable but not desireable". If you were a weapon designer and read that; what kind of rifle would you send to the Ordnance Department dinosaurs? If you go back and study the history of the US Army's quest for reliable semi-auto rifle you will see they were very concerned about soldiers wasting ammunition. Not only that, but a rifle with a magazine would be more expensive as soldiers would loose them. Also remember the big selling point with the M1941 Johnson was that it didn't have a magazine nor a clip and its integral rotary magazine could easily be topped off by single rounds and the commonly available stripper clips. Hell, even the FN-49 had a non-detachable magazine and by then it was clear to a blind man that detachable magazines were the way ahead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Some of John Garand's early versions used detachable box magazines.

He switched to the en bloc clip when he saw which way the wind was blowing in regards to the military's preference for non-detachable mags.

I've heard that one of the reasons they didn't want a detachable mag is that they wanted a more "streamlined" rifle without a protruding mag so that it wouldn't mess up the "manual of arms." I've read that in a couple places, but have no way to know if it's actually true or not.

Garand was a smart guy. He not only designed the rifle, but the fixtures and machines to manufacture it as well. That's one of the reasons it was accepted is that it was developed with an eye toward manufacture all along, unlike many private designs that were submitted before then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.