Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started reloading for my 30-06 Garand. Everything went fine, except the overall loaded cartride length. Spec I have states, max length 3.340. It gives no min. length. I'm getting 3.215 when the bullit is pressed in to just the beginning of the crimp ring on Hornady 30 cal .308, 150 G FMJ/BT #3037. Is this OK, or is there a min. overall lenght? The case length is right on spec.
Thanks
Jim

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
What is important here is the OAL that your reloading recipe calls for... Max lenght is what will fit in the magazine with the enbloc clip, so you can't go over that... but if you go shorter than the lenght called for by the reloading book for the ammount and type of powder you are using combined with the bullet weight .. you risk higher than normal pressures or higher than calculated pressures for that load. It's nice when the cannelure comes out to be right on the crimp/cartridge case rim .. it looks pretty and all ... but risking higher than anticipated pressure just so the round looks pretty is not the best practice... God only knows what 30 cal round Hornady had in mind when they put the cannelure where they did...

I might also add.. not that I expect it to be an issue with a Garand.. but bullet jump can be a factor in accuracy in many rifles .. so alot depends on the shape and lenght of the ogive you are using in many rifles and if you rifle is sensitive to these issues.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I am good to go. I pulled a MILSURP bullit apart and it is also cannelured. The distance from the cannelure to the bottom on both are the same. The milsurp bullit is longer overall, but I have the same distance inserted into the casing on both.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
Many "milsurp Bullits" these days in .308" diameter are 7.62NATO M80 ball type bullets. The cannelure on these is proper for 7.62NATO ammunition and will result in a 30-06 cartridge that is a bit 'short' if loaded to that cannelure. They may work just fine at that length. Both Israeli, Hungarian and Danish 30-06 Ball was loaded with M80 Ball bullets in the twilight of Military 30-06 ammunition. You may try to load M80 bullets to proper OAL in 30-06...but I doubt that you will have enough bearing surface in the case neck to hold the bullets well.

My Garand feeds M80 bulleted reloads well when loaded to the cannelure.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Might try here http://www.rvow.com/surplus bullets.htm

I've not used these guys .. I get my M2's from Hi Tech Ammo but they are out right now.

Looks like they have good prices... I recomend stocking up as supplies have been spotty over the last few years

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
Might try here http://www.rvow.com/surplus bullets.htm

I've not used these guys .. I get my M2's from Hi Tech Ammo but they are out right now.

Looks like they have good prices... I recomend stocking up as supplies have been spotty over the last few years
Not sure that is an 'active site'...I don't see how to order, and this at the bottom of the page: "Last modified: June 28, 2005"
sure makes me wonder!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Not sure that is an 'active site'...I don't see how to order, and this at the bottom of the page: "Last modified: June 28, 2005"
sure makes me wonder!
I hate it when they do that... dang! sorry 'bout that.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Should throw closer to 0.1gr .. you don't say which powder measure you have or which powder you are using... however with most powder measures letting the handle hit the stop sharply when you return it to the top of the stroke and using the same ammount of speed and force on both the up stroke and downstroke will help with consistancy of the powder weight... also ball powders measure better than stick powders ... get yourself a powder trickler to speed up your getting the weight exact in the pan.

When posting a question for help .. the more detail you provide the better the answer you get.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Long Answer

The more consistant each round is to the next the better your accuracy

The closer each brass case is in weight one to the other

The closer each primer flash hole is the same diameter case to case

The closer the neck tension is cartridge to cartridge

the closer in depth each primer is set one to the other

the closer the bullet weight is bullet to bullet

the closer the case neck thickness is case to case

the closer case lenght is one to another

the closer each bullet is to true cartridge axis centrality

and yes the closer each powder charge is cartridge to cartridge the greater your accuracy

and after a few months of driving your self absolutely bonkers trying to get custom bench rest rifle performance out of an old milslurp with a 3.0 throat and a hint of muzzle wear you will find that .. if the cases have the same headstamp , the bullets came out of the same box , likewise the primers, you used the same crimp setting, or equally didn't crimp at all, depending on the round and the gun , and the powder is +/- .01 thats close enough .... :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
AmmoSgt

I'm an old Benchrest shooter and enjoyed your list of 10 things that can be done to improve accuracy. BR shooters have an old saying, "There are 10 things that you do, but only 5 or 6 make any difference. The problem is that we don't know what the 5 are." So, we do them all, needed or not. ;)

Ray

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Jag you have the right weight bullet and the right speed powder... that's what the op rod cares about... you keep the powder weight between the reloading book's min and max and you are golden..

Ray .. ever wrap you brass in bubble wrap before you tumble it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.