Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a National Postal Meter M1 Carbine for $699). The stock has the serial number stamped on the left side. It is in good shape, no rust (Parkerized) a very clean bore (Marlin Barrel), and the rifle shoots well. I was told that Israel was the one that stamped the stock.

Is this correct, and do you have any other information about the Israeli's use of the M-1 carbine

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Many European countries have a "thing" about stamping serial numbers on the wood.
Without more info on any non-US stamps or marks, or any importer stamps it can be difficult to determine who had it.
Among other countries we sold or gave Carbines were Israel, West Germany (Border Guards mostly), and Holland (police).
A lot of Korean Carbines also have numbers stamped or painted on the wood.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
My wife has one of the M1 carbines that were used by the U.S. occupation MILGOV in postwar Germany to equip civil police units in Bavaria. These carbines were later sold to the Austrian Landesgendarmerie and marked with the Austrian province [Steiermark in the case of hers] on the trigger guard. Some of the Austrian and Italian used carbines might well have a serial number added to the stock too. Pics might help, but you might compare your carbine to some of the Bavarian carbines too--although they are usually stamped on the top of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Israeli used carbines generally have the serial # stamped on left side of stock some have it on both sides . It was done because it made inventoring easier. Most Israeli carbines have a .U. ( Underwood ) rebuild mark also.

Isaeli's issued carbines to reservists, local militia and security guards etc.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,657 Posts
If you got it from Big 5, I believe theirs came from Isreal (thru Century). The reason I say Big 5 is that they are currently selling them at $699. I bought one, and I love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.