Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a simple answer to this but I have searched and cannot find a simple yes or no. When you pull the slide back on an M1 carbine, is it supposed to stay open like a Garand or must you always engage the locking pin for it to stay open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Rick
I am going to surmise that Abulgie does not yet own nor possess this alleged M1 Carbine.
As, if he did, there may be an easier way to find out than posting here.
dc
Albug1972 may have the carbine and just not know which way it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick
I am going to surmise that Abulgie does not yet own nor possess this alleged M1 Carbine.
dc
I asked a question. If you don't want to answer it, then don't respond, period.

It's my brother's IBM carbine. He is new to collecting. I don't own a carbine. He wasn't sure, so I posted it here because I knew someone would know the answer. Thanks to those who answered my question.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometimes, it's just really hard for people to not be douchebags. It's just the way hobbies work - if you don't know the answers, you shouldn't be a collector.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
As above the GI 30 round magazines had a bolt hold open design follower.
Sometimes these followers were user installed in 15 round magazines and some commercial magazines had the hold open follower.

These followers have a shoulder cut in the follower to catch the bolt and hold it open.
When the magazine is removed, the bolt slams shut.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rick
dc

I run across plenty of M1 carbine owners who don't know how to lock it open. I also see gun shop owners who never knew that. Especially if it is stuck with gunk. It seem a perfectly legitimate question.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't know a lot of collectors in my area so I read here and buy entry level rifles to learn. My first carbine was a real learning experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
Not only do the 30 round M2 carbine magazines have the bolt stop follower but a good number of the 15 round magazines were fitted with the same follower when rebuilt by government arsenals. The lack of a bolt stop was one of the biggest complaints the troops had about the M1 carbine.

My Grandfather who was a WW1 veteran and Boston Police Officer for 35 years taught me that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. Asking questions is how we learn things through life and especially when we all started collecting. I wish I had the knowledge I've accumulated over the years when I first started collecting. On advice of fellow collectors and friend I developed an extensive library of quality reference books and manuals which I use constantly. I have found that the GunBoards forums have a lot of experienced collectors who are willing to share their knowledge with other collectors. So ask your questions and ignore those who feel that they just have to throw out inane quips.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The US armories never worked on the 15 round magazines to make then into hold open magazines. One has to remember after WW2 there were hundreds of millions of 15 round magazines available. The hold open was deemed not to be important as the bolt would close on an empty chamber anyway when the empty magazine was removed. By not having the cut in the follower the cost of the magazine was a couple of pennies cheaper. So GI's were trained to put in a new magazine and pull the bolt back and let it go. They were also supposed to keep a count of rounds fired. The 30 round magazines with the cut for the bolt were a late war after thought for use with the M2 carbine. It was all but impossible for a GI to keep a count in full auto mode. The early 30 round WW2 magazines didn't have the cut out originally.

NavyGunner, You know your not safe where you live. It's only a matter of time before your area in NH becomes another county in Massachusetts. It's already starting to happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.