Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the following M1 Carbine stock markings mean?

"AOY" in large letters on the left hand side just above and behind the trigger guard

"AAB" in large letters on the left hand side just above and behind the trigger guard

"HI" on the left side in the sling recess, small letters

TIA

·
Registered
493 Posts
The HI marking in the sling well indicates the stock was manufactured by Hillerich & Bradsby for Inland. H&B was known for manufacturing golf clubs and baseball bats. The AAB marking indicates that the rifle was overhauled at the Augusta Arsenal in Georgia. The significance of the B is unknown as M1 carbine stocks overhauled at Augusta Arsenal will be found with various letters following the AA marking. I am unable to help with the AOY marking.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for this information. My M1 Carbine has the AAB marking on the stock as well and I was wondering what that signified.

·
Registered
12,904 Posts
The letter following the AA usually signifies which armorer at Augusta actually did the overhaul on the rifle. Most often, the letter was one of the armorer's initials.

I can't get to it right now, but Brophy's book on the 1903 Springfield contains pictures of many of these arsenal marks and a list of some of the armorers that were known to work at each overhaul facility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts