Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So recently I acquired an m1 carbine online through a gun store that specializes in surplus rifles, I ordered one for 1650 and paid extra for a Winchester in very good to excellent quality. The gun came with a mix match of parts with early product and late production parts, a underwood barrel and a I inland lower/ trigger assembly. The stock is in pretty rough shape and so is the bluing as well. I’m new to the gun scene and always wanted one of these since my grandfather told me so many stories about this gun in his time serving in the navy. Just wondering if I over paid by too much or if I ended roughly in the right ball park the only thing Winchester on the rifle is the receiver. I know a lot of these rifles went through multiple overhauls but this one seems more or less a mixmaster of parts.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are you sure that is not some of the Ethiopian RTI junk. Man that looks ruff, ruff. Not bad for a $500 dog, but you said you paid 1650 ?? Is that a typo! CMP mix masters were like 50 times better condition and did not cost so much. Fist I'd put a FIELD reject gauge in it and see if it headspace. If not, I'd return it. How many return days is their policy? Is the bore as bad as the outside. Did you test it with a muzzle gauge? Are you beyond 3 ....

RTI Royal Tiger Imports M1 Carbine: Examination & Range Experience

RTI Royal Tiger Imports GI M1 Carbines

RTI video & history of poor condition M1 carbines
IO and Classic picked some from RTI.

If new to the surplus rifle hunt, consider reading my info on SRF:

You will want to read vol 1 and maybe vol
2 of Ruth's War Baby from the library. Still around used or new if you want to purchase it.

Get a Fulton Armory muzzle gauge and see what you got. It looks like this an is a nice tool to have if buying expensive 30 caliber rifles:
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did get it from that company :eek: so they gave me a run for my money it sounds like ive put a box of ammo through it and it seems to shoot good and no I sadly don’t have any of the tools to test anything... new to the whole gun collecting scene I’m going to call up and see what my options are and I will be buying that muzzle gauge, I sadly live in ct where gun shows rarely ever happen..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Absolute beater you have there. For that kind of money you should have received an extremely nice example. Perhaps you just learned a valuable lesson though a costly one. It is always wise to do a little research on the shop or company you're buying from. These days thanks to the internet that is fairly easy to do. If the outfit you bought the pictured carbine from claimed it to be in very good to excellent condition I would send it back and demand a refund as I wouldn't trust a replacement. There are a lot of sources for M1 carbines and other milsurps just be diligent and do your homework.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Mr. Nick, I feel bad for you, 40 years ago I got a Plainfield commercial carbine and thought it was a real one. So live and learn. Check out some of stuff on SRF, maybe join some other forums. Read up about M1 carbines, get the books I mention in that above link -- Read & research prior to spending anything over $200. lf on the younger side, talk to an old guy that shoots surplus at the local range. I got to agree if you actually paid that much, i'd send it back. Think decent barrel, headspace, and muzzle, if you want a shooter; correct parts & stock, if you want a safe queen ....see Ruth's book.
These: The War Baby! Books - GUNS Magazine

I love carbines and still shoot at CMP carbine matches. Older than dirt, poor vision, and can barely get up off the mat. But still love those matches.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's really sad! RTI is only a few hours from me and I thought of heading over there and picking one up, when they were $899. By reading the American Rifleman article you're led to believe these are top notch examples.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your advise I just got in contact with the company and are having me send pictures to them via email and will have to wait to see if I’m approved for a refund I did to a little research but I was eager to buy one and thought the company had some sort of quality control! I’m hoping to get half my money back or return it based on what option they give me are they’re any other websites that sell these besides rti and gunbroker? I’ve been to most of the gun stores in ct and none have any m1 carbines for sale sadly if they do it’s a reproduction

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all,
So recently I acquired an m1 carbine online through a gun store that specializes in surplus rifles, I ordered one for 1650 and paid extra for a Winchester in very good to excellent quality. The gun came with a mix match of parts with early product and late production parts, a underwood barrel and a I inland lower/ trigger assembly. The stock is in pretty rough shape and so is the bluing as well. I’m new to the gun scene and always wanted one of these since my grandfather told me so many stories about this gun in his time serving in the navy. Just wondering if I over paid by too much or if I ended roughly in the right ball park the only thing Winchester on the rifle is the receiver. I know a lot of these rifles went through multiple overhauls but this one seems more or less a mixmaster of parts.
Yes, you paid too much, about 500 too much.....BUT......other than watching Gunbroker or forums, they (RTI) are the only guys in town. Most people in these circles cant let go of the days when Carbines cost 500 bucks. EVERYTHING is priced high right now. (Go look at what Mausers are selling for.....)I received an Underwood M1 from RTI about a year ago. Mine looked like yours and was covered in everything from sand to what I suspect was goat dung. My gun cleaned up nicely, has a nice tight bore and a nice Ordnance stamp in the stock. Not everything that comes from RTI is junk. They just need a full cleaning and stock restoration.

It seems that people have different expectations of what 'excellent' condition is. RTI's grading standards seemed arbitrary at best and seem to have changed through the course of this 'lot' of guns. (First they offered 'grades. then they started offering by manufacturer, the last I looked they are offering grades and manufacturers...??) IMHO, they should all have been advertised as NRA condition 'good' and nothing more. (NRA good condition just means the gun is serviceable, isnt all rusted and has all its parts...just a basic shootable gun) I got mine when they were 899 bucks and Im very happy with my investment.

Whats done is done. Go clean that thing and go shoot it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ugh that is a raw deal. I paid $899 for mine in April last year for a good to very good condition one and it looked miles better. I guess they are scraping the bottom of the barrel now and charging "last chance" prices.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You're way overpaid for it. Try to return or exchange.

What you did is called sight-unseen. It's very risky. Nowadays every cell phone is capable of taking picture. There's no reason buying without seeing.

·
Silver Bullet member
770 Posts
Insane. Return it, and post a want to buy cmp M1 Carbine, willing to pay $1650. People will sell a great cmp non import marked carbine for that price. Should be able to find a local seller.
Do your homework before you buy next time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess so haha, I did do some research prior and expected more from the company based on the mixed reviews, I’m hoping to get at least 600$ of my money back if not I will be returning it. Thanks all for all the information didnt really expect it to be such a pos :cry:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.