Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this locally for 1k. Going to pick it up this weekend but figured I would bounce it off the forum to see if I missed anything. Was sent back to the states in 1945, been in the same family ever since. The only thing that threw me for a loop was the darker almost black finish, although it could just be lighting. Everything else appears to be correct but I dont have another one to compare it to.

thoughts?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,019 Posts
Pics 13-15 show what looks to be a more correct color, parkerized green. It does have the early front band (no bayo lug).
Inland, correct? Stock looks like a pretty high sheen for boiled linseed oil finish, but otherwise, looks nice.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think it might just be the lighting. I wonder if they kept it in original configuration. I think it’s a ‘43 Inland. This site lists some things to compare how it is now vs how it left the factory, as opposed to “all matching”.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said its as it was in 1945 was sent back in parts reassemble and has seen about 400 rounds over the last 40 years or so

·
Registered
198 Posts
First, the finish appears spot on for an Inland carbine of that serial number's time frame. The stock is for sure a late Winchester. The rest could be Inland parts, but if the stock is not original then the rest doesn't quite matter as much--although it's still a nice looking carbine.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,999 Posts
This is one of those incidents when if you have the thousand dollars, you should trade it for the carbine. No hesitation.

Mixed junk is selling for $1,000. This is more than junk.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep, stop reading this, and run instantly with crisp 100 bills ....best purchase it ASAP. But also get the story written down and signed by the family members and possibly a photo of the GI and photo copy of his DD 214 if they have that. Buy any uniform they may have and want to sell.
DO IT NOW, TAKE OFF FROM WORK AND BUY IT. You hit a once in a lifetime find. Get as many other items owned by the vet as possible. Don't be a fool and pass this up.
Look at it this way you are saying $900. It still has the flip sight & original sling? And you are thinking about it??? Ask if the vet brought a bayonet back. Buy the entire trunk if it still remains.. Think provenienced entire collection... into the thousands. Bring extra cash in $50 bills for any other items.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The stock appears to be an IBM stock as the crossed cannon are quite away forward on the stock. Could be Winchester but the only way to find out is to look in the sling well for letters if any. Other then the stock the carbine looks very good and will be a great pickup.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Yes pick up this carbine as soon as you can. I have an Std. Prod. M1 carbine with the same features that you show in your pictures, flip rear site original sling, a couple original mags. , no bayonet lug, flat top bolt, , Standard Products name on the piece where the action fits on to the stock, butt plate on the stock is stamped 3 - 43, barrel is stamped Underwood 3 - 43, two hole hand guard, push button mag. release. I bought this carbine in 1967 for the price of $35 and I haven't fired it in almost 40 years.
You better grab the one you are looking at fast before someone else does.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,999 Posts
The stock appears to be an IBM stock as the crossed cannon are quite away forward on the stock. Could be Winchester but the only way to find out is to look in the sling well for letters if any. Other then the stock the carbine looks very good and will be a great pickup.
The wide, flat fore stock is typical Winchester. Also, the W in the sling well is a dead give away. Winchester stock, for sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is one of those incidents when if you have the thousand dollars, you should trade it for the carbine. No hesitation.

Mixed junk is selling for $1,000. This is more than junk.
Pretty much where I was at. Figured I probably couldn't go wrong so I committed to buying it before posting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts