Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a U marked mag the other day.
I just noticed it has a different follower, the style that holds the bolt open.
Were there any made this way? I have never seen one like this and assume someone put this in it. Or could it be a Universal clip?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Military 15 round magazines never had the bolt lock option follower, only the 30 round mags had that.
Over the years people switched followers so it's not unusual to see USGI mags with the 30 round follower.
The "U" stamp was used by a USGI maker. I don't think Universal ever used it on commercial mags.

·
Registered
412 Posts
U is Underwood. None of the 15 rounders had a bolt hold open follower. Either sombody swapped out the one from a 30 rounder or they modified the 15 rounder. Or you got a fake magazine.
It is a good idea to swap out a 30 round follower for a bolt hold open though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually a magazine marked U by itself was made by Union Hardware under a spare parts contract. Magazines procured by a primary contractor (rifle maker) would have the first initial as the magazine maker and the second initial as the primary contractor.

To whit:

UI means Union Hardware for Inland

As said, it was really common to change out 15 round magazine followers for followers with the bold hold open feature. I've seen reproduction followers just for this purpose.

Charlie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts