Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted by LeMAG - uses regular m1 mags (think the 15 rounder holds 8). The work was done on a Univeral receiver with the remainder being GI parts. It looks like the ultimate home defense gun, with unreal stopping power as you could go as high as 300 grains. Would be poison on wild pigs or deer in the brush, too. I'd like some opinion, though...it looks sturdy enough...the barrel is not a reamed out GI...it's new, and the rifle is rock-solid - undoubtedly having been built to handle the pressure. There's one in a shop locally that I could probably walk out with for $500...anyone seen or heard of these??

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
if i saw it i think i would buy it,,they were invented when the 45 mag rounds was a bit popular..i have a grizzly that i have never shot,,they were built by the company and not a conversion kit

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had one

sold it to my brother - he's more into the magnum calibers. bought & sold it for $400, looked new, came with a bunch of rewoked mags. did a little research, from what i found, you should stick with middle of the road loads - there were rumors of the receivers cracking with the bigger loads (rumor only - i never saw one). i also heard that the universal receivers were cast, and not as strong as the forged ones. i have an iver johnson ss .30 carbine that i don't shoot in full auto for that reason. the guy that told me this worked at IJ, so i guess i beleive him.

the rifle i had shot high. we replaced the front sight with one from a mini-14, it's 1/8" taller and keeps the same look. did it 2 weeks ago, haven't shot it to see if it fixed it.

the mags i got with it have the feed lips worked on (they are slightly bent up at the front) and the mag catch tabs on the rear have been welded solid and ground. after shooting it with 300gr loads, the recoil is snappy and i could see a fully loaded mag getting the catches bent out of shape, especially the 30rnd mags (i don't remember what the 45wm capacity was).

it does seem to work well though. with 250gr loads, it's fun to shoot and that's what it seems to like. the heavier loads will probably make the top cover pop off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I remember those from the late 1980s.

They looked like a really neat brush gun, but I had no use for one at the time and the price was something like $500 to convert and existing rifle.

IIRC, there were reports of barrels splitting, but this was due to improper (overly hot) loadings from the conversion company. Not too long after hearing about the ka-booms, the company seemed to disappear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.