Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help out a friend with an M1 Carbine. He has a mixmaster that will need NOT feed a round after firing. He has tried multiple mags and it repeats the problem. Gas system all checked out. I was leaning towards the bolt, gas and mags in beginning and the mags checked out also. I had him switch bolts from another M1 carbine and the problem was corrected. So obviously the flat bolt was the problem.

My question is could it be that the bolt is just worn out that it's not pushing the next round or is there another part or area of the bolt body I could replace or inspect to see if the bolt is salvageable? Again, if it matters, its a flat bolt body. Or is there something or some other area I should be looking also?

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
tagged. I also am having this problem. New production replacement bolt after USGI bolt cracked. Can't get it to feed good brass mil spec ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,420 Posts
Are you placing a full mag in the rifle? When you release the slide on a full magazine, does it carry a shell to the chamber? After firing a cartridge does it eject the case? You might check with a caliper the bolt face diameter of both bolts to see if there is a difference, maybe the bottom of the flat bolt has worn enough so it will not catch the rim of a cartridge while on its way forward.

Chuck.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
maybe the bottom of the flat bolt has worn enough so it will not catch the rim of a cartridge while on its way forward.
that makes a lot of sense, seeing you didn't have that feeding issue with another bolt

when it jams in the feeding, where is the bolt in relation to the cartridge?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lambo35, I told him the same thing I thought since it was a USGI flat bolt (I think these were first bolts made, if I recall correctly) that it just wore out and didn't catch the rim to feed. He stated that it would feed the first round and eject that case then not feed another. Yes, he used a full mag. The second round partially feeds then jams. This was repeated in another rifle with same issue/result wouldn't feed. I'm confident the bolt is the problem just want to make sure I don't tell him to "junk" the bolt if something else can be checked that may play a part in the chambering of the rounds from the mag.

SfcRet, I don't know where bolt is, I'm going over there tomorrow so I'll get a better look at the issue.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Had a pal with same problem late last year. Checked it out and it seemed to be a little bit binding with bolt release. A shot of Remoil on the parts removed the problem. I was surprised but that was it - it was just too dry.

Reactions: Bob_The_Student

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the bolt, would photos help for any of you to look at and see if you think you can spot anything "out of whack". I will pass on Ebeeby thought and several have said recoil spring, like Disaster Dog, so I will see about replacing that. Do I need to worry about other springs if I buy new recoil spring for him?

My plan, after talking to another member, was to disassemble and clean the problem bolt and parts and reassemble and see if that doesn't fix or improve feeding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The problem may likely be in the extractor. First clean the extractor. Best if you can take it out and clean it. Then check it to see if its broken or chipped. If not sure then replace the extractor with a new type 3. Lube it and the bolt and try it out.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,622 Posts
Need more info:
Is it ejecting the first round fired?
Does it "start" to push the next round and stop? or does it move slightly and then stop?
Have you tried more than one magazine?
Does the extractor move to the side when you press it to the right? Grease/oil/dirt may be keeping it from moving freely.

Possible problems:
First is the magazine, second maybe a weak recoil spring. But for sure need the info above.

A picture of the bolt may not help, can't tell as much from a picture as you can looking at the old and replacement bolts for differences.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled bolt apart and cleaned it up.

Need more info:
Is it ejecting the first round fired? Yes
Does it "start" to push the next round and stop? or does it move slightly and then stop? This one
Have you tried more than one magazine? Yes he has
Does the extractor move to the side when you press it to the right? Grease/oil/dirt may be keeping it from moving freely. Yes it moves I just cleaned it though

Possible problems:
First is the magazine, second maybe a weak recoil spring. But for sure need the info above.

A picture of the bolt may not help, can't tell as much from a picture as you can looking at the old and replacement bolts for differences.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Had this problem with a recently acquired carbine. The second round to feed on a full mag would catch on the tip of the ejector (Type 1) that came with the rifle and fail to chamber. I replaced it with a Type III, which solved the feeding problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you do get a new recoil spring then make sure it's 10 1/4 inches long. Do not go for one of the speed springs or extra power ones. More trouble then they are worth. You can also check that the magazine catch is not worn to the point it allows the magazine to drop down enough as the bolt fails to catch the next round.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had this problem with a recently acquired carbine. The second round to feed on a full mag would catch on the tip of the ejector (Type 1) that came with the rifle and fail to chamber. I replaced it with a Type III, which solved the feeding problem.
Interesting, it has a type 1 ejector.

IMG_1568.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: changed ejector to type 3, changed recoil spring and extractor. No change, same issue only thing the same is the bolt body.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is one dirty bolt.. It's not the ejector but the extractor you really need to check and replace with a type 3. Did you check the magazine release for excessive movement?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well. Then it's time to replace the bolt.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is one dirty bolt.. It's not the ejector but the extractor you really need to check and replace with a type 3. Did you check the magazine release for excessive movement?
That was before I cleaned it up. I have not checked the release. What is your thoughts on mag release?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well. Then it's time to replace the bolt.
Agreed, I figured I could help him with the other parts since I had them. I Was trying to make sure he wasn't spending money unnecessarily. I was suspect of the bolt after gas and mags checked out so we will see what happens with a new one.

I didn't feel any burrs in the chamber or feed ramp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Universal M1 (yes, the dreaded commercial POS)!

Any magazine inserted is loose - they lock in and hold, but they can be easily rocked back & forth, and the 2nd and subsequent rounds had lots of problems feeding and chambering.

I made a shim that I put in the front of the magazine well (held in place by the stock, no screw holes or other permanent modifications), and mil-surplus magazines now function perfectly. Commercial mags still move around too much, and have feed problems (but not as bad as before), I'm going to see if I can bend the front of the magazines out a bit to lock them in more solidly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts