Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an M1 carbine that appears to have been rebarreled. The barrel has a smooth, blue-grey finish with no visible markings on the exposed metal; however after disassembling the gun I can see a faint "flaming bomb" mark with an "S" stamped next to it on the side of the barrel that holds the gas piston assembly. Can anyone tell me who might have made this barrel? A muzzle wear gauge reads .0. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If it's stamped on the gas cylinder then it most likely is a Winchester barrel BUT the barrel should be marked with a proof P and or a WP intertwined stamp. It may be very faint but it should be there. If the barrel has been refinished it may have covered the stampings on it.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
If it's stamped on the gas cylinder then it most likely is a Winchester barrel BUT the barrel should be marked with a proof P and or a WP intertwined stamp. It may be very faint but it should be there. If the barrel has been refinished it may have covered the stampings on it.
This is what I was thinking as well. The Winchester marks are sometimes very hard to see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.