Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a M1 carbine as a shooter not a collectible. I saw 2 M1 carbines today going for $350 each with new stock on both. both had parkerized finishes in good to excellent condition with good barrels on them. One had an all wood stock and one had a wood stock with the perforated metal upper fore guard. Is this a good deal?
If that is a good price I would do a FTF if anyone has one they would like to sell and is local to central NJ with the same or better deal and a 10% premium would go to GB. I know it's not a legal gun in NJ but I do 99% of my shooting with my brother and friends in PA and it would be stored at his house across the border. I'm lucky to have a Brother I can trust.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. now I have a new question. I thought all M1 carbines are Military weapons. Please school me. And if it is a weapon that is none military what would be a good price for that type. So many questions so few brain cells.
Real question not being a wise guy.

· Copper Bullet member
173 Posts
Look for a Name Brand on the Rear of the Reciever and, or, on the Barrel. "Universal" is a Commercial Brand and I forget the other. But check for a Name and Serial #. If possible sneak a couple of Pics with your Cell Phone. The first generation Unversal's were Most if not all USGI Parts, Mixed bag mostly, the third generation are the ones to stay away from. Saftey Concerns on the Weapon Firing out of Battery, (Blowing Up In Face) because of a Poorly Designed Bolt to Save Money.

· Platinum Bullet member
2,105 Posts
Below is a link to a website about companies that produced commercial copies of the M1 carbine. Some were good quality and other were junk. You have to know carbines and what to look for when thinking of buying a commercially made one. You might take a look at the CMP website and see if they have any more M1 Carbines for sale. Spending some more money on an inspected US GI carbine is a better investment and will get you a good quality shooting M1 carbine.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/

· Registered
14,019 Posts
I would personally stay away from the commercially made ones, but at that price if they have a WWII US-made receiver and trigger group, just about all else can be fixed and I would snap them up IN A SECOND at that price.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saftey Concerns on the Weapon Fing out of Battery, (Blowing Up In Face) because of a Poorly Designed Bolt to Save Money.
Thanks for the info. I may have the sex appeal of a Rhesus Monkey but I like to keep all my parts as ordered. I will go back on Saturday and if they are still there I'll look for all the items you guys said to look for. I've survived 48 years without one so a few weeks/months looking will not be a big deal.
This will most likely be my next purchase so like the others I'ts worth the wait and get what's right.
Thanks
Dave

· Registered
1,731 Posts
Look for a Name Brand on the Rear of the Reciever and, or, on the Barrel. "Universal" is a Commercial Brand and I forget the other. But check for a Name and Serial #. If possible sneak a couple of Pics with your Cell Phone. The first generation Unversal's were Most if not all USGI Parts, Mixed bag mostly, the third generation are the ones to stay away from. Saftey Concerns on the Weapon Fing out of Battery, (Blowing Up In Face) because of a Poorly Designed Bolt to Save Money.
PLAINFIELD MACHINE CO, is one that was made in NJ. They are good shooters, I would not pay more tht $250 -$300 for one though.

· Copper Bullet Member
6,500 Posts
Look for a Name Brand on the Rear of the Reciever and, or, on the Barrel. "Universal" is a Commercial Brand and I forget the other. But check for a Name and Serial #. If possible sneak a couple of Pics with your Cell Phone. The first generation Unversal's were Most if not all USGI Parts, Mixed bag mostly, the third generation are the ones to stay away from. Saftey Concerns on the Weapon Firing out of Battery, (Blowing Up In Face) because of a Poorly Designed Bolt to Save Money.
Another commercial brand was Iver Johnson. Unless you want to suffer from instant loss of value after purchase, and further suffer indignities if you try to later trade it, buy U.S. Government M1s, not commercial M1's.

· Administrator
60,255 Posts
The one with the heat shield is probably not USGI production but commercial post war.

Having said that a lot of the post war commercials were built with the bought surplus parts left over from USGI production.

· Copper Bullet Member
6,500 Posts
If they say Iver Johnson or Universal on them, I wouldn't give $50 for the pair. JMO.
Well, that's about what you'd get get if you were trolling them at a gun show. Let the pore mouthing begin!

· Registered
22,342 Posts
Chances are the gun shop knows what its got but Never say Never.
Go back and if they are US GI carbines, police them up.

Not much interest in commercial carbines, never was and its not peaking now either,
they just are out there and flapping

· Registered
429 Posts
Well, that's about what you'd get get if you were trolling them at a gun show. Let the pore mouthing begin!
Don't know anything about that. I know I bought a Universal for $250 and ended up cutting it into pieces with a torch because it was too dangerous to re-sell to some other poor sucker at a gun show. It slam fired at least twice from each magazine. I had a gunsmith test it and he determined that it was capable of firing out of battery. Luckily, it ended up in the bottom of my pond before it did that. So I would kind of say I speak from a certain amount of experience and have put my money where my mouth is. Okay, my pore mouthing is done. :thumbsup:

· Registered
716 Posts
RE the original question: As you've probably figured out, nobody that knows their elbow from a hot rock will sell an M1 carbine for $350, twice that, maybe. On the other hand, if they're GI, I'll take the ugly one off your hands for what you have in it + $12. ;)

· Copper Bullet Member
6,500 Posts
About 15 years ago I was at a gun show, and one fellow who had a table had 2 GI carbines with a $250 sticker in front of them. Taking a wild chance I pointed at the sticker and then the carbines, and asked "For both of them?" He said yes, and I paid him the full amount within about 5 seconds. I sure did not try to horse trade!

· Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
primitivehunter, nice of you to think of the fellow down the line, but i think i'd have made a real purdy lamp from that carbine, not thrown it in a pond.

· Registered
791 Posts
Ok with all the bashing of the aftermarket M1 Carbine forgeries I'll give you my experience with them. I have two of them built from GI parts. The first one is a Universal with a metal handguard (like the one you described). The second is an Iver Johnson with a four screw wooden handguard. I have had ZERO problems with either one related to parts breaking or "blowing up in my face". I bought the first because I got tired of waiting for CMP to get some in. It was just to shoot until I could afford the real thing. My girlfriend at the time liked it so much it became hers and I bought the IJ for me. It looks like the real thing and both shoot well. I have introduced many newbie shooters to them and the only hiccups were newbie or mag induced. I am still looking for an original and missed out because of lack of funds for a CMP original. After a couple thousand rounds that I have shot through them I trust them to work and I'm not wearing out an original just to do a lot of plinking.

Certainly the third generation Universals are ones to beware of. They are easily identified by the open slot operating rods and internally by the double recoil springs. My buddy had one years ago and he said it was a trooper but it really began to show the wear and tear and he sold it. If either one you're looking at shows no sign of abuse and is not a 3rd gen Universal then you may have a good shooter. I think most of the ones I've seen at show were just neglected by their owners and suffered from poor maintenance. $300 actually is a better price than I've seen people asking for some of these GI parts builds. Offer $250 if both are GI builds and you'll have a fun gun at half what the original costs. Just my experience.

Added: Both of mine are blued. I think most of the commercial ones were. Some may have been built from parkerized GI parts but I'm not sure of that. Maybe they are refinshed by someone claiming them to genuine GI carbines? That would be reason to run away from these.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.