Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd sort of wanted to pick up a bayonet for my U-Fix-Em 91-30 we've had a couple of years now to see if it improved accuracy as I discovered an extended bayonet actually did on one of my M-44s that I experimented with.

At the Lewiston Gun Show this past weekend I found a really nice one for $20 so I bought it.

It didn't want to mount on my rifle right off; had to take the emery cloth to the inside of the socket and a file to the slot that locks around the front sight base, but we got it on after a while.

A Dealer had told me that sometimes the Russians would reverse the bayonet, laying the blade along side the stock much like a folded M-44 bayonet when it's retracted.

Once I wrestled the bayonet on, it was very tight and resisted attempts to remove it. As I was wondering about what I could use to give me some leverage, I happened to think of the screwdriver/firing pin protrusion guage that comes with the field kit. That has an oval hole in the handle that might just work. So I rummaged around until I found it, and "Violla"! It slips down the bayonet blade to the socket where the large end of the egg shaped hole just barely catches on to the end of the barrel where the muzzle extends beyond the bayo socket just a little.

Wrapping a rag around the narrow end of the tool which is now used as a "handle" or lever, I lifted up while pushing the lock button with my finger. It lifted the sticky blade right up in front of the sight where it could be slid forward and off of the rifle.

I wonder if that's what that funny hole was supposed to be for?

With the blade reversed the sharp point faces backwards, and a shooter could get a nasty jab out of it if he wasn't careful. The idea struck me that perhaps the Russian Soldiers used discarded shell casings to blunt the point of their bayonets when they were not in combat for their own safety as well as that of their Comrades.
Just for the heck of it I fetched an old Berdan primed empty and stuck it on over the point - and it stuck right on to the tapered blade just like it was supposed to. The quadrifoil blade forces the case neck into sort of a square and gives it spring tension for a firm friction fit.

Out of curiosity I got out my M-44 Carbine and extended the bayonet on that. After pushing a case on to the end of the blade I pointed it down to the cement floor of the shop and gently tapped it a few times until I felt the tip bottom on on the case head. That stuck on really well but could still be removed by hand.

It's getting late, but later I'll report on how well the socket of a reversed bayonet lashed back to the front sight base works as a muzzle brake!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,427 Posts
Who woulda thunk it!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who woulda thunk it!
*{8^{D~ I think I read somewhere that one has to be a little crazy to come up with stuff like this!

In the picture I just used string from a cartridge bundle to illustrate the concept. Before test firing I'll probably replace it with rawhide, artificial siniew or tennis racket string so I won't have to chase my bayonet down range. I'm also going to wash my bayo socket thoroughly after using it as a brake with corrosive ammo - same with the blade if fixed while firning.

I'll get back to you, probably in a seperate thread, with the results of my bayonet/accuracy corelation experiments.
Difference in both POI and group spread were dramatic in testing with an M-44.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,827 Posts
So when are you going to publish "Uncle Jacques Notebook"? I'd buy a couple copies

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Some of us choose to lead, and the rest will follow.

BRAVO (!!!) on figuring out what the oblong hole in the protusion tool is used for. This is one of the best information threads recently posted. Thank you :) .

Keith

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So when are you going to publish "Uncle Jacques Notebook"? I'd buy a couple copies
Thank you for your most gracious compliments Fushigi!

Come to think of it, nearly every posting I contribute to this and other forums I keep a text file copy on a HD file, which I back up every couple of years or when I get around to it, whichever occurs first.

Were I not so organizationally challenged, I could probably pull together and publish some sort of litterary product. Whether anyone would actually buy a copy or not is another matter. If that ever happens, I'll send you an autographed copy for your encouragement.

I do enjoy writing and have been told I'm passing fair good at it. About the only reward for my efforts thus far has been trouble, and after almost 2 years as a talk radio co-host it's probably amazing that I'm still alive. For a sampling of how politically INcorrect I am check out my "Blog" @

http://unclejaque.wordpress.com/

There are even a couple of gun related topics there, along with some poems and songs I've written.

Another "reward" for being an amature wordsmith is getting to be the Recording Secretary (Ye Scribe) for our local Fish & Game club and Adjutant (same thing) for the local American Legion Post. How much fun is THAT??!!

It's been suggested that I'd be a good gun magazine evaluator / editorialist.

Now that would be a dream job, although being the scatterbrain I tend to be sometimes "deadlines" can be a challenge. But combining two of my favorite avocations - writing and guns - would be kinda jiffy now that you mentiion it. I won't be holding my breath for an offer from a major publication though! {;^{D~

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i always wondered what the hole was for in the firing pin guage, i thought it was to save on materials but your example shows what it really for

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.