1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Silver Bullet member
299 Posts
Until the experts weigh in, here is a start.

This is a post-WWII MAB D (there was a design change in 1945, and this is the later version). It is apparently not a military MAB D (the military pistols had no letter prefix before the number and had 5 numbers; government agency pistols tend to have a one or two letter prefix followed by 4 numbers), but possibly one issued to a government agency/department represented by the letters "SG" in the serial number.

It has the grips and rear iron sights originally used with this pistol, which suggests an early import date (60s-70s?) -- later MAB D imports had "thumb-rest" grips and adjustable sights. However, these can easily be changed back to the originals, and import dates are not directly related to manufacturing date.

Is there an importer's mark on the gun? Lack of one would be another strong indicator for it being an early import (1950s - 60s); presence of one would suggest end of the 60s or later. These marks can be small, and may even be under the grip.

Perhaps "SG" refers to "Société Générale," a major French bank nationalized in 1945 -- MAB D's with serial numbers "BFxxxx" were issued for use by security personnel at the Banque de France.

Bill

Just pick this up and thought I would share. It is a M.A.B. mod. D sn#SG448X. Anybody know when this was made or for whom? Here are some photos;

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/dragon25/?action=view&current=77931B_L.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/dragon25/?action=view&current=77931A_L.jpg

Thanks;
Christian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only mark that I can find that might not be original to the gun is the word FRANCE stamped on the left side on the frame, no other marks that I can find. Thanks for the info, I really can't find much about them on the net.
Christian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.