Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have enough spare parts laying around that I thought I'd start a project Swede. However I need a m-96 barrel for it. Would prefer original if possible. Know with import rules as they are that these are hard to find. Have been watching gunbroker etc. So any advice or help you all have out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum . No dealers/importers have NOS Swedish M-96 barrels . Last one I saw at auction sold for over $300 . A new Lothar Walther military contour barrel cost $250 . Considering the expense , you would be better off selling your parts & buying a complete matching rifle . Why pay $300 for a barrel , when you can buy a complete matching rifle for a little more ??????????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a very good point! I guess I could buy a complete M-96 on gunbroker and scavage the barrel. I have been so intrigued by the Swedish Mauser since I started collecting them I just thought it would be a nice project to put together my own parts rifle. Who knows it might even be a shooter when I'm finished. With a Swede that's more probable than not. Thanks for the welcome. I've been watching and reading this forum for quite some time just don't post a lot.

·
9,204 Posts
I would not strip a barrel from a matching rifle just to get the barrel . I think it would shoot better as it is . If you are that intent on building a M-96 rifle , the Lothar Walther barrel is the best option . It is new . Your mismatched rifle will never be collectible , so why destroy a collectible M-96 to build another ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know if M/38 barrel would do for what you have planned, or how easy it is to import barrels from Canada to the US. But Tradeex here in Canada has new in the white, original military Swedish mauser M38 barrels for $95.00 each (about $91 US).

·
9,204 Posts
It is illegal to import military barrels into the USA . Even importers cannot import military barrels . Commercial barrels can be imported legally into the USA . Now , does that make any sense ????????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bless your heart Swede!

I would not strip a barrel from a matching rifle just to get the barrel . I think it would shoot better as it is . If you are that intent on building a M-96 rifle , the Lothar Walther barrel is the best option . It is new . Your mismatched rifle will never be collectible , so why destroy a collectible M-96 to build another ?
Your reaction to my dismantling a 96 from gunbroker for the barrel projects the passion you have for this firearm and that's why we all respect you and your opinions, it's not just an act and we all thank you. I would never separate a matching number Swede, true ones are getting hard to find. There are so many on Gunbroker that don't match it would be easy to single one out for parts. Didn't mean to upset you or strike a nerve. Am considering, as per your suggestion, a new barrel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Import barrels

I go to Ontario bear hunting north of Kenora every year in August. Wish I could pick up a barrel there. Just would not want to try to explain it coming back into the US. I can remember when life used to be simple and common sense seemed to prevail. Thanks for the suggestion Canada Boy!

·
9,204 Posts
I have 3 new old stock M-38 barrels I got from KEBCO . All were in the white , but I have added a Dulite black oxide finnish . These are $130 plus shipping . Never been used . No more can be imported . I see another one on GunBroker for $179 . Send me a PM if interested .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts