Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post on Gunboards.com, but I have been on Surplusrifleforum for a while. Now to business: I went in last week to my local haunt/pawnshop and talked with the owner. He knows I collect and that I don't chop up history like a lot of his customers. He brought out three guns but the Swedish Mauser stuck out to me. I already have a matching Carl Gustaf made in 1906, but when I realized that it was a Oberndorf, I decided to jump. The other reason was the deal I got-$150+tax. While it is not matching, the bolt, magazine box, buttplate and rear band do. I know that this may not have the collector value of other rifles, but the price was right and I hated to see someone cut it up for a hunting gun.

I was curious what wood this stock is made of? It seems darker then beech, so I was thinking walnut. Also, the front sight is marked +05. I assume this marking is for the changes made to the Swedish ammunition. Thanks for the help.

~John~

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cruffel,

I don't have the proper tool to get the stock bands off (a clamp to hold down the springs), but I did take the trigger guard off and found the crown acceptance mark meaning this is a German produced Oberndorf Walnut stock.

~John~

·
Registered
298 Posts
A member (opee??) recently posted some great tips on the use of a simple tool made from hardwood or a toothbrush handle (prison style). I followed up on it and using the tooth brush handle (filed down to a tapered edge) was able to pop the bands with minimal effort and no risk of scarring any parts of the beloved rifle. It works perfectly. You simply place the tip at the point where the band spring meets the band, push inward, and twist. Even tightly fitted bands come off no problem. Clamps are not needed and just increase the risk of marring. Another method advocated wrapping tape around the edge of a screwdriver blade, but that is risky as well. Hope this helps

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
The JimmyC Memorial Band Depression Impliment. It's a wonderous invention, truly.

For $150 you got a smokin' deal, mismatch and all. I'd give $150 for it right now. Nothing wrong with mismatch shooters. I have a couple.

Dutchman

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Here a few photos of my "tool". :laugh: AKA "JCMBDI"

Just be sure to remove the cleaning rod, and allow space under the bands so they can move when you press them with the "JCMBDI".

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just broke my Jimmy C tool made from a red toothbrush handle. I was trying to remove a fore-end from a 120 year old Winchester and it snapped in half. One half bouncing off my eye-ball at high speed. ( I was tapping it with a leather mallet) .
As I was running around outside the shop (on snow and ice which I still have lots of ) it gave my wife yet another opportunity to say "I told you so" concerning eye protection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.