Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a long M.95 today, Steyr, Wn*06, S marked just behind rear sight. Rear sight looks to have been milled off and renumbered, alternating sides, up to 15. There is a roman numeral VII just below the Wn. Has an odd front sight protector. I'm not familiar with this rear sight marking, familiar to anyone?

John

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Does it look like this one?

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Looks like a metric sight (2,000 schritt = 1,500 m). Pictures?

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sean, yes, that's the sight protector.
Nick, I didn't have the cash to pick it up, so no pics. I was trying to figure out whose handy work the modifications were before possibly going back to get it.

John

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never did go back & pick the rifle up, but I found a picture that matches the rear sight. It's a full length infantry rifle, with the front sight protector as pictured in Sean's post, and the rear sight looks like the right most one in this photo:

Whose do you think it may be, Nick?

·
Registered
953 Posts
If the stock matches and it's reasonably priced you should go get it. It's a rather scarce variation. It's an Austrian conversion so an m95/30 long rifle. They are rarely encountered with the sight protector in place. Far scarcer than the common 95 longs that came out of Bulgaria or even matching original m95 longs in 8x50r. The rear sight is correct for this variation. I have sone and have seen fewer than 10 others.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
..Whose do you think it may be, Nick?
First & second from left are Bulgarian, the third I don't recognize, the last is Austrian as J.K. (Prez1981) said.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'll have to go back and look, but there are 12 or more rear sight variations for the M95 rifles, carbines, stutzens, and variants. The third is a variation of the Hungarian 31M sight. I'll have to check my files (if I still have them), but the original photos may have been mine from many years ago.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
.. The third is a variation of the Hungarian 31M sight. ...
Duh... Of course it is a 31.M sight... I've had a long day at the office.

Here is mine:

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
And this one is an Italian rework:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
My next question was going to be about the rear sight, but I see in my absence that the others stepped up to the plate. :)

Yes, you should go back and buy it. I bought mine for 350 and was quite happy with it. The whole rifle is matching: receiver, barrel, hand guard, and stock. Mine is in excellent condition. Is this one too?

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Certainly should have bought it, I've had several PMs expressing interest in that rifle. Alas & alack, I saw it at a show, and without knowing what it was, I didn't go back for it. Now I just have to see if it shows up the next time the show's in town. Thanks everyone for the information provided.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts