Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done about the barrel extension that was added to these rifles when they were imported short of having a gunsmith cut it off and refinish the rifle?

Thanks!

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,606 Posts
Barrel Extension ????

It is best to leave it as is !

If you remove the extension , there will be a large ugly counterbore in the muzzle of your barrel . Some extensions were welded on & others pressed on . These are accepted by collectors as a legal requirement when the carbines were imported . So , the extension does not look all that bad .

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
And in my opinion you would be reducing the value of the rifle.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,521 Posts
BBl extensions

I have three 94/14 carbines, all have the bbl extension. I don't think it looks bad, as the bayonet mount projection kinda balances it out. But, the original 94 carbines with out the bayo mount, I don't care for the look of them when they have the extension. They are what they are, however. And I would not turn away a 94 with the extension, no sir!

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have three 94/14 carbines, all have the bbl extension. I don't think it looks bad, as the bayonet mount projection kinda balances it out. But, the original 94 carbines with out the bayo mount, I don't care for the look of them when they have the extension. They are what they are, however. And I would not turn away a 94 with the extension, no sir!
As you can see from my photo (sorry about the quality but I'm not a photographer) I have a M-38, a M-96/38, a M-96 with a soldrin sight, a M-96 and the M-94.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Kind of an "un-necessary evil" that we are stuck with. (Thank you, "feel-good" legislators!) I think the best advice was to leave it alone. Start searching for an unmolested, original one at a fair price - if such a carbine exists. If your barrel does not match the receiver, you might entertain the prospect of getting an original barrel from a parts house. The 1895 Obie, the 1901 C.G., and the make-up-your-own-name-for-a-M94 "G33-50" I found all somehow escaped "extened-a-barrel-bubba". Best wishes in either getting used to it and/or finding another. DDR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts