Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DMala
Posted - 10/26/2004 : 3:01:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bent bolt [of your 1917-made M 91 long rifle] may simply come from the importer or from the company that refurbished these rifles for Century, i.e. they were bent after sale to the civilian market, since it is quite characteristic of the Century batch of M41/M91 to frequently have a bent bolt. Since whoever refurbished them first disassembled and rather roughly cleaned the rifles, I suppose it is unlikely that they threw away all these straight bolts, but rather that they bent them for a cooler look. Just an hypothesis anyway.

dreadnought
Posted - 10/26/2004 : 3:10:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dmala....the bent bolt is on the older M1891 that was made in 1917.

DMala
Posted - 10/26/2004 : 3:33:10 PM
Only straight bolts were used on M91s and M41s.

From the picture I seem to see the bolt is blued and bent, which suggests it is a Century import that was refurbished in Lybia, as per infomation given to me by D. Hobbs several years ago. If there are rough rust polishing marks on the barrel, if the trigger groups is also blued, and the stock is mismatched, this would support the above assessment of the source of your piece. Otherways it could be that one of these bent bolts from the "Lybian" century import was used on an earlier import.

dreadnought
Posted - 10/26/2004 : 5:44:07 PM
You are correct. Upon closer examination of the handle it can be clearly seen that this bolt was straight handled at one time. Not a very inpressive bending job I might add. The bluing does cover it up nicely at a glance though.

It is a Century Arms import as I located the CA and Made in Italy marks under the barrel. Still, it is a very nice rifle and I hope to be able to shoot it after a trip to the local gunsmith for a headspace check.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts