Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aethelbert
Posted - 10/12/2004 : 12:58:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an M-41 (a FAT-42) which has a couple of markings/stampings that I can't find any reference to. This is old 'Cosmoline Kate'. When I got ready to power wash the cosmo off/out of the stock, I found on the under side of the butt plate a little pitched-roof house, complete with a rounded-top door in the center of the lower floor, two windows in the upper level and a chimney on the right slope of the roof.

DMala
Posted - 10/14/2004 : 3:47:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys, both stamps are very common on the buttstock plate of Terni M41s. Also the crossed rifle stamp under the buttplate is not rare. I do not know exactly what they mean, the general interpretation is that they identify the subcontractors. The house stamp for some reason reminds me of the logo of a famous Italian pot maker, Lagostina (http://www.lagostina.it/), after all the machinery to make a buttplate should not be too different from what you need to make a pot.....

airdale
Posted - 10/14/2004 : 4:14:19 PM
Thanks for the info DMala. I also have a 1941 Brescia cav. carbine with a lion stamped on the buttplate, sight block and bayonet and I am assuming that is also to identify the subcontractor.

Aethelbert
Posted - 10/15/2004 : 12:59:20 AM
Thanks for the info. If companies like Westinghouse and typewriter manufacturers, etc, could make rifles and handguns for the US Army during WW2 (and Westinghouse making Mosin-Nagants for the Czar's army in WW1) then, certainly, Lagostina could turn out butt plates and other accoutrements for the Carcano rifles/carbines in WW2.

If anything, this only adds to this particular rifle for me. Thanks again!

Franchi
Posted - 10/18/2004 : 5:52:19 PM
DMala, That "house" marking on Carcano buttplates almost has to be a variation of the "Lagostina" marking. See the section on their web site on "Trade Mark Evolution" (link below). I have written them to see if they can/will supply any information on their connection with Carcano rifle parts in WWII.
David Franchi

The given links did not work. Can one of the contributors be as kind as to nsert a link zo the Lagostina markings and trademark evolution? Many thanks, Carcano

1 - 2 of 2 Posts