Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted these pics on the "interim" board before it was finalized here, so I thought I'd re-post it. This is an M.90/30, which is an M.90 reworked into an M.95 carbine configuration and rechambered for 8x56R. This particular rifle was reworked in 1933. It also came with an OEWG marked bayonet. When I took it to the range, I discovered it's the smoothest Steyr carbine I have, the bolt action is crisp and clean, easy to manipulate. It shoots low due to the very high front sight, but I'm able to compensate for it. This is the first M.90 rework I've ever seen, and I didn't know WHAT it was until after I bought it, I just knew it was different from the rifles I've been seeing. The trigger guard and front barrel band are stamped matching to the receiver, the bolt is EP'd matching. Thanks for looking!

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
Is the bolt from M.90 or from M.95? Is the magazine from M.90 or from M.95?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hard to describe without pictures. I'll post some when I get home unless Nick gets to it before me. The M90 magazine is much simpler. Instead of having the standards M95 follower arm, the M90 is a single curved arm (similar in concept to that found on the Dutch M95). The M90 bolt is also a little different - the cocking piece has a round, knob shaped end, unlike the M95. Also, the rear of the M90 bolt is taller and more massive than found on the M95. Again, hard to really describe without pictures. There were lots of comparisons by both Nick and myself on the old forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
Here are some pictures:

PS. John, please, enable your PM; I have a question regarding a CA (Arsenal Sofia) marked clip.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are some pictures:

PS. John, please, enable your PM; I have a question regarding a CA (Arsenal Sofia) marked clip.
You must mean "Prez", my PM's ARE enabled (I just re-checked) - I'm "John" too, that confused me (which is easily done in the first place) :rolleyes:

I'll re-check the magazine and bolt tonight, but IIRC they are both M.95 types. Thanks for the info and photos!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Huh, I thought I'd already done that, drat. I just enabled PM's. PM away! Nice M90 there!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
GUNHORDE, how is the rifling in the barrel. i saw one 2 weeks ago that looked like new, i mean very strong rifling like either the barrel was new or was not shot to much. tjm22shot54

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Rifling, barrel, magazine...

GUNHORDE, how is the rifling in the barrel. i saw one 2 weeks ago that looked like new, i mean very strong rifling like either the barrel was new or was not shot to much. tjm22shot54
That's exactly how this barrel looks, either not fired much or not at all (until now anyway) - VERY strong clear rifling. Per your earlier question, the bolt and magazine are both standard M.95 configuration.

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
That's exactly how this barrel looks, either not fired much or not at all (until now anyway) - VERY strong clear rifling...
Your barrel is a post-WWI replacement. The stamp Stf (Staatsfabrik) and the new style eagle are all post-war.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your barrel is a post-WWI replacement. The stamp Stf (Staatsfabrik) and the new style eagle are all post-war.
Thanks Nick, I was aware of that. It was rebuilt/rebarreled in 1933, according to the barrel proofs. That's also why the fonts don't match between the receiver and barrel.

I'm really looking forward to firing this one again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts