Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ups man just brought a present ..just brought home a Vietnam capture m-44 w/war trophy documents,,really cool ..matching except for floorplate,,3 digit serial number izzy with a laminate stock,,brought back in 68,,no date on receiver,,had to show her off!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is it an Izhevsk?
Now that's what I call restraint!! CRAZY, very nice for any collection. Don't forget to answer the previous question

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
m44

well all thats on the receiver is a C and what looks like a funny A and the russian sickle and hammer crest along with the serial number ,,then theres a Y in a oval on the left side of barrel and a unknown mark thats pretty worn on the right side ,,stock has what looks like a stopsign with a 1 in it other than bold proofs there no other visable marks on it ,,i may pull it outa the stock and see if theres anything marked under the wood,,heres some pics of the markings

·
Premium Member
105,709 Posts
Thats pretty cool. Pick it up somewhere on the net or locally?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
m44

Thats pretty cool. Pick it up somewhere on the net or locally?
beleive it or not guys i got it off gunbroker,,it was lost in the modern catagory and when i found it it was going for 49.99 and didn't take a bid till close to the end of the auction ,,i got it for 71.99 + shipping 97 bucks out the door,,got it for my grandson ,,he really likes mosins..proably won't find another 6 yr old that knows most of the ww2 and vietnam rifles by looking at them,,chip off grandads block i guess..lol..lol..be a good one for him to remember a war alot of people try to forget!
crazy

·
Gold Bullet member
11,453 Posts
Nice rifle. Very nice buy. Check the left side of the stock, alongside the receiver. Are there a couple of (screw) holes and a circular impression about the size of a half dollar coin? If so, it once was fitted with a Russian or Combloc copy of the US M15 grenade launching sight. I have been collecting Vietnam bringbacks for a LONG time. A very high percentage of laminated stock M44 carbines were used in the grenade launching role.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
m44

no screw holes on this one ..i was a little leary when the bid only went to 72 bucks ,,figured it was too good to be true but when the war trophy papers were authentic and the rifle was matching to the papers i was really happy..and thought it was really cool to own an actual bring back rifle ..the seller really didn't know exactly what he had i beleive,,but was a straight shooter and no hassels whatsoever ,,thanks guys for all the positive feedback on it ..one thing i can't really figure out is the buttplate ..it looks as though it had a metal plate between the buttplate and the wood ,,it's pretty brittle and just about totally rusted but i never saw a mosin with a peice between the butplate and the stock,,really a neat peice
crazy

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,555 Posts
Yes, I would say you got a great deal there and a piece of history on several counts.
Russian rifle used by the North Vietnamese and captured by a GI during the Vietnam War.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Great piece & price, of course. Funny thing, though. I recall about two years ago one of our forum buddies here had a similar piece for sale. IIRC, a fairly non-descript m44, but with capture papers. The price wasn't high at all, but it just kept on being on the Trader Board for weeks. I couldn't believe no one would jump on the thing. I think it finally sold. Looking back, I can't figure out why I didn't buy the dang thing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
m44 date

well guys i took the rifle outa the stock today.. tang is dated 1945 with an izzy arrow in triangle,
crazy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts